If you have been involved in a car accident, the first thing that you need to do is to acquire immediate medical treatment for your injuries. Afterwards, you might want to think about filing a personal injury case against the other driver because it is the only way for you to recover monetary damages from him.

However, the different legal issues that are involved in the process may be hard to understand, especially if it is your first time to be involved in a road accident.

Here are four Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) which can make your job easier:

Q: I was injured when a pickup truck broadsided my car. What are the things that I need to do after I was treated for my injuries?

A: If you can, you should try to gather evidence which can help in determining who is at fault in the accident. Aside from gathering evidence, it is also advisable that you do the following:

  • Get the name and the contact numbers of the truck driver.
  • Get the names and contact numbers of the people who have witnessed the accident. Remember, their testimony can prove that the accident happened because the other driver was drunk or speeding.
  • Inform the other driver that you are planning to sue him.
  • Take down notes about the things that you can recall about the accident. In addition, you should also write down all of your injuries or losses which resulted from it.

Q: Is there a time limit when filing a claim against a government employee or agency?

A: Yes. In fact, the time limit applied in this case is very short, but it still depends on the state where you are living in. This time period can range from 30 days up to one year.

Q: Will I be required to appear in court after filing a personal injury claim against the other driver?

A: It depends on the outcome of the settlement. If you were provided with proper compensation by the other driver's insurance company, there will be no need to pursue the claim. Most claims are settled even before a court hearing begins.

Q: Am I required to seek legal guidance or help from a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer when filing a claim?

A: You are not required to contact a skilled lawyer after an accident, but doing so can increase your chances of winning the case. Your lawyer will help you gather evidence which can prove that the other driver was negligent. In addition, he will represent you in court if you and the other party failed to settle the claim.