Benefits of Online Advertisements
Online advertisements allow businesses to reach users by creating ads. When an Internet user clicks on the advertisement, their web browser forwards them to your website to purchase your products or use your services. You pay a small premium to the advertiser for each click on your link.
There are many online advertisement services you can utilize: Google AdWords, Facebook Ads, Chitika, Infolinks and Kontera. The two biggest services are Google AdWords and Facebook Ads. They both provide powerful ways to reach your target audience to market your business. Each has their own benefits and drawbacks.
Benefits & Drawbacks
Google AdWords is the biggest online advertising platform available on the Internet. It's no surprise given the popularity of Google.
The Benefits of Google AdWords:
- Google AdWords lets you advertise in the search engines. It takes a lot of optimized content to rank high for your keywords. When your business exists in a saturated niche, it is next to impossible to get high search engine rankings. Google AdWords lets you advertise on the first page of the search engines for your keywords. You get a highlighted entry at the top, bottom or right of the search engine rankings. This increases your traffic and business.
- The Google AdSense program is utilized on millions of websites on the Internet. You get advertisements on established blogs and website on the Internet who use the Google AdSense platform to monetize their sites.
- The Google Keyword tool provides a look into the profitability of certain keywords, your competition and pay per click amount. You can target your advertisements to specific individuals who are more likely to use your service.
The Drawbacks of Google AdWords
- Google AdWords is expensive. You pay for each click on your advertisement even if they are false clicks that do not lead to a product sale.
- Google AdWords are often ignored in the search engines. Many people bypass clicking on the advertisements in the search engine in order to click the organic search results.
Benefits & Drawbacks
Facebook Ads show in the sidebars of all Facebook profiles. Users click the link and are re-directed to the page that the business sets up: either their Facebook page or a website link.
The Benefits of Facebook Ads
- Facebook ads provide multiple targetting options to ensure your ads only display to the people who are most likely to click on them. This includes marketing by gender, age, likes, educational background and geography. The ability to target your customers means your ads only show to people in your area, your marketing demographic and the people most likely to purchase your products or services.
- Facebook ads drive traffic to your Facebook page. Even if the person doesn't purchase the product you advertized, you may still get a connection to that customer if they like your page.
- Facebook reached 850 million users in February of 2012. That is a huge base of people who may want to buy your product.
The Drawbacks of Facebook Ads
- Like Google AdWords, Facebook ads are expensive. You pay for each click on your ad even if that click doesn't result in a product sale.
- Not everyone is on Facebook. You still have to market to customers who don't use this social media network on the Internet.
Facebook provides an amazing level of interaction with your customers including the ability to market by their specific demographic. You get the added benefit of only advertising to the people who are likely to purchase your product. Whereas Google you simply advertise for your keyword.
Google AdWords gets your website into the search rankings and increases traffic to your website. Not everyone uses Facebook whereas everyone uses the Internet (albeit no necessarily Google) to search for products. You also get your business advertised on websites and blogs through the AdSense program.
Google AdWords wins this face-off simply because Facebook limits you to Facebook users. The best strategy involves using both of these marketing tools to ensure you reach the greatest possible customer base.