The Do's and Don'ts For Keyword Targeting
If you want your targeted keywords and niche sites to rank well on the search engines, these are the Do's and Don'ts that you need to take note of.
Do note that this is just a small part of doing up SEO for your site.
The 12 Areas That You Need To Know For Keyword Targeting
1. Always include your keyword in your Title Tag and have it near the beginning. If you do not know what is a Title Tag, it's the heading that you see on the top of the browsers. When you are constructing your Title Tag, keep it short within 7 words.
2. Include your Keyword in your URL. If you are creating posts and web pages, it's recommended that you include them.
3. Keep your Keyword Density below 10%.
4. If you have sites that start linking back to you, you can ask for them to have this title="your targeted keyword" within the hyperlink. Apply the same structure when you are returning the favor and linking back.
5. Likewise if you have images that are linking back to your site, have your keywords within the <alt> tag. You can apply the same format to the images you have on your own site.
6. Include your Keywords within the <H1>, <H2> and <H3> tags. You can best apply this when you are creating your content headings.
7. Target your keywords in the first three paragraphs of your content, preferably above the site fold.
8. You can include your keywords in your Meta Tags and Meta Description as well. And try to keep your Meta Descriptions within 155 characters as well.
9. If you are targeting long keyword phrases, e.g. lose weight effectively or how to lose weight fast, you can see that the main keywords are weight loss and the extra phrases are "effectively" for the first and "how to + fast" for the second, try to have these extra phrases close to your main keywords each time you construct your content. A good move to keep your keyword density low and yet keeping your keywords really targeted.
10. Using #9 with "lose weight effectively" as reference. It's recommended that you also try to target those extra phrase, e.g. effectively. You can create other contents that focus on the keyword "effective".
11. Target Secondary Keywords. For example, a person that is keen in weight loss may also be interested in losing weights with exercises or through a healthy diet. Therefore you can also focus on creating unique content on these secondary keywords.
12. Have a good knowledge in knowing your targeted keywords from time to time. As you continue to build up on your site content, you may get carried away and start to target the wrong keywords. Therefore it's good that you take note of which are the keywords used to reach your site. One good free resource is to use the Google Keyword Tool.
Taking note of the different aspects of Keyword Targeting is just a small part of a proper SEO campaign. If you really want your site to rank well on most search engines, it's also recommended that you work on other additional areas like:
- The nature of links
- Your content
- Your website in general, e.g. the page load size
- The scripts and media files
- and more...