Who is Show Luo?
Born on July 30, 1979, Show Luo (a.k.a. Xiao Zhu or Alan Luo) is a singer, a dancer, a TV host, and an actor who is of Taiwanese aboriginal descent. I first saw Show Luo in the 2000's remake of The Butterfly Lovers (Chinese title: Xin Liang Shan Buo Yi Zhu Ying Tai). Then I saw him again in the variety show TV San Jian Ke which he co-hosted with Chen Chien Chou (nicknamed as Blackie).
In 2003, after being rejected many times by recording companies, Show Luo finally released his first solo album with the help of his friends in the music industry. The album Show Time became a hit, and the rest was history. I started seeing him more and more. He began appearing in TV commercials and TV dramas co-starring with famous celebrities. He had even lent his voice to Disney's Chicken Little in its Chinese version. Since Show Time, he has an album released almost every year.
The Start of Show Luo's CareerCredit: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:20120513%E5%8F%B0%E4%B8%AD%E6%9C%89%E6%88%91%E5%9C%A8%E6%85%B6%E5%8A%9F%E7%B0%BD%E5%94%B1%E6%9C%83.JPG
Show Luo, together with three other members, entered a singing competition in 1995. The four imitated Hong Kong's Cantopop Four Heavenly Kings (consists of Aaron Kwok, Jacky Cheung, Andy Lau, and Leon Lai). His notable imitation of Aaron Kwok had gained him some recognition. He formed a band and later, a duo group which had both disbanded. He then started focusing more on hosting different variety shows.
Show Luo on TV San Jian KeCredit: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Show_Luo_Zhixiang.jpg
I was an avid viewer of TV San Jian Ke in my teenage years. In this variety show, a non-celebritiy would seek help from the program by asking them to investigate on someone. It could be a cheating boyfriend or a rebellious daughter who seemed to be keeping something. Show Luo and Blackie would "play" detective and follow the person until they find something interesting (I said play because I'm not sure if the cases were real or staged).
One time, the program had a special segment for Show's birthday. The crew surprised him by arranging a meeting with Karena Lam, his love interest (That's right, he liked her years before they shot the music video Wo Bu Hui Chang Ge). He was a small-time actor that time and he was very nervous to meet the much more famous Karena. When he met her, he gave her a present - a Tiffany bracelet - and tremblingly put it on her wrist. Sadly, the bracelet was never seen on her wrist again, probably a sign that she didn't reciprocate his feelings.
Taiwan Idol Drama: Corner with Love
Show Luo co-starred with Barbie Hsu in this romantic-comedy series Corner with Love. He plays as Qin Lang, a frustrated painter who meets a rich and spoiled girl named Xin Lei (Barbie Hsu) on the corner of a street in Shanghai. The ending song "Ai Juan Jiao" (Love Corner) and the insert song "Ji Fen" (How Many Points) (featuring Japanese singer Koda Kumi) are both sang by Show Luo! Both tracks are included in his fourth album Speshow.
Taiwan Idol Drama - Hi My SweetheartCredit: Amazon
Show Luo plays as Xue Hai, a rich dorky boy who goes to Hangzhou to study. He pretends to be poor and goes by the name of Da Lang as to protect his real identity. He meets a strange and friendless girl named Chen Bao Zhu (Rainie Yang) and befriends her. They become lovers, but due to some misunderstandings, Da Lang and Bao Zhu separates.
Amazon Price: $39.75 Buy Now
(price as of Jul 12, 2016)
Show Luo Trivia
- He idolizes Takuya Kimura and Aaron Kwok.
- He used to be a fat kid, hence, the code name Xiao Zhu (literally: Little Pig). After getting involved in a bike accident, Show Luo started losing weight, though he still keeps the nickname up to this day.
- Although Show Luo and Karena Lam are both in the music video Wo Bu Hui Chang Ge (I Don't Know How to Sing), the two were never physically together during the filming of the video. The scenes where Show Luo appeared were shot in Taiwan. Karena Lam's scenes were shot in Paris.
- Show Luo is one of the founders of the clothing brand Stage. Stage currently has branches in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
- He is known for treating his fans well. In one autograph session in Xi Men Ting, Show arrived early so fans could go home earlier.
- He personally autographs.
- He sleeps in girl's pajamas.
- Girls always confide in him.
- He used to be very poor.
- He cried in his concert when he sang Li Liang (Strength) because he remembered his father who had died recently. He even reserved a seat for him.
- He is known for being filial.
- He has been linked to some female celebrities but he has always remained mum about his love life.
- When fans started calling him Asia's Dance King, he admitted that he didn't deserve the title and was embarrassed by it.
- He can speak Mandarin, Taiwanese, and Japanese.
- In one of his autograph sessions, he insisted on putting up tents after he heard that it might rain. He spent his own money for the tents.
I've always liked Show Luo even before he rose to stardom. In the variety show TV San Jian Ke (this is the only variety show of Show Luo that I've seen), he has shown good character and has always been respectful to the elders. Despite the weird hairstyles that he's been wearing over the years, he has this boy-next-door look that makes him so appealing to both young and old. He is one of the few artists that I've witnessed turn from being a small-time actor to a household name in Asia. To me, Show Luo is not just Asia's Dance King. He is also an inspirational figure.