9 Interest Mold Facts
1. Molds are microscopic fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments that are called 'hyphae'.
2. Mold and Mildew are the same thing and are interchangeable.
3. Mold is more likely to grow in humid conditions; however it can also grow under colder conditions as well.
4. Mold can cause adverse health effects on humans. The degree that it effects you depends on your age, existing immune system issue as well as existing repertory issues. Symptoms of mold in the home include allergic symptoms such as watery eyes, a runny nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, itching, coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing, headache and fatigue
5. Mold can be split up into three different divisions: Zygomycota, Deuteromycota and Ascomycota
6. Mold can be found in different medications, the most famous are the following:
- The mold Penicillium chrysogenum is responsible for the creation of the antibiotic penicillin
- Aspergillus terreus is responsible for the cholesterol lowering drug Lovastatin
- A drug that is used to supress the rejection of transplanted organs in humans is derived from Tolypocladium inflatum.
7. There are hundreds of known species of Mold.
8. Mold derives energy from organic matter and not through photosynthesis. This is the same as other fungi
9. Mold reproduces via spores which can be either asexual (product of mitosis) or sexual (products of meiosis).