S.H.E. (a.k.a. S.H.E. Girl Friends) is an award-winning girl group in Taiwan. Formed in 2000 and debuted in 2001, the group consists of Selina, Hebe, and Ella. S.H.E. has released 12 albums and has sold 15 million copies. Aside from singing, the group has starred in teen idol dramas, endorsed different products, and hosted in variety shows such as Guess Guess Guess. The group also has donated to different charities over the years.
S.H.E. is the only girl group that has been in the Mandopop industry for over ten years and is also the longest-running girl group in Taiwan history. Hence, S.H.E. is referred to as the "Asian Girl Group."
Real Name: Jen Chia Hsuan
Birthdate: Oct. 31, 1981
Birthplace: Taipei, Taiwan
Star Sign: Scorpio
Blood Type: A
Characteristics: optimistic, lively
Color: pink, white
Favorite Animals: rabbits, small dogs
Strengths: kind, good-tempered, honest, brave
Weaknesses: appears cold, doesn't know how to express herself
Life's Motto: family and friends first, love second, career third
Family Members: dad, mom, younger sister
In 2000, Jen Chia Hsuan won in a singing contest that earned her a record deal with HIM International. The stage name "Selina", which symbolizes the moon goddess and connotes "gentleness", is given to her. Pink is Selina's color.
Real Name: Tien Fu Chen
Birthdate: Mar. 30, 1983
Birthplace: Hsinchu, Taiwan
Star Sign: Aries
Blood Type: A
Color: black, red, yellow
Favorite Animal: elephant
Hobbies: singing, sleeping
Favorite Cartoon Character: Super Mario
Her Type of Guy: Wang Lee Hom
Family Members: dad, mom, older brother
Although Hebe had only finished high school, she stayed in England for a month in 2006 to continue her studies. I've read that while Hebe was away, Selina cried every time she passed by Hebe's empty room (the two lived together for 7 years). She sent Hebe an email, which the latter had accidentally deleted. When Hebe got back, she asked Selina to read the letter to her, and after reading the first few lines, the two started crying. Hebe revealed that the reason she could tolerate Selina's bad habits was because of her love for the latter.
In 2010, after Selina suffered serious injuries in Shanghai, Hebe had shown support by dedicating songs to her friend in her solo concert tour.
The S.H.E. singer had been linked to singer Jay Chou, but Hebe told the media that it was impossible for Jay and her to be together.
In Selina's wedding, Hebe caught the flower bouquet that Selina had tossed and said, "And i thought I could never get married!"
Real Name: Chen Chia Hwa
Birthdate: June 18, 1981
Birthplace: Pingtung, Taiwan
Star Sign: Gemini
Blood Type: O
Characteristics: extroverted, lively, neutral
Color: black, white, dark blue
Favorite Music: pop, rock, funk
Favorite Musical Instrument: piano, guitar
Favorite Movies: Love Actually, Forrest Gump
Most Romantic Thing for Her: sharing an umbrella with your love
Family Members: dad, mom, grandparents, two older sisters, younger brother
Chen Chia Hwa, a Hakka descent, was also a finalist in the 2000 singing competition held by HIM International Music. She is given the stage name "Ella" which represents the torch in the ancient greek mythology and "courage". Blue is her color.
S.H.E. Idol Dramas
Down With Love
- S.H.E.'s debut album was released on September 11, 2001, the same day the terrorist attacks took place in the US. For this reason, S.H.E. was initially overlooked by the media.
- Selina is the only S.H.E. member that has finished college. Selina received a Bachelor of Education degree, majoring in Civic Education and Leadership from National Taiwan Normal University in 2004 -- three years after S.H.E.'s debut.
- Hebe had appeared in the variety show Guess Guess Guess a year before she joined S.H.E. Years later, she hosted the same show with her co-S.H.E. members.
- S.H.E.'s choreographer considered Selina as the best dancer among the three. Sadly, after her accident, Selina can no longer dance like she used to.
- Selina's dream was to get married before the age of 30. She got married on her 30th birthday.
- Hebe likened S.H.E. to a ball. "We're like a ball or something of that sort. We were born and were divided into three parts. And then on a certain day, the three of us met and formed a ball. It's so perfect, so round. The three of us complement each other wonderfully."
- Ella almost gave up in joining the singing competition held by HIM International in 2000. She got terrified after seeing the crowd, but her sister persuaded her not to give up.
- Ella made an extended play (EP) to commemorate the death of her pug Qiang Qiang. One song in the EP is entitled "Mahal Kita", which means "I love you" in Filipino. When Ella first heard these words, she liked it and found it sweet so she wrote a song with these two words. The rest of the song is still in Mandarin though.
89 Days After the Accident
Tearfully, Selina thanked everyone for the support, and she was overjoyed that she could finally go home.
*S.H.E. members call each other "Wifey" as a sign of affection.
**SHERO (blend of "she" and "hero") is the title track of S.H.E.'s tenth album.
One thing that I really admire about S.H.E. is the friendship among the three members. Most of the singing groups emerging in the music industry are not as successful due to the disagreements among the members. S.H.E.'s music may sound too ordinary to some, but there's no denying that S.H.E. is one of the most remarkable Asian groups ever existed.
S.H.E. Latest Album - Blossomy
Amazon Price: $8.90 Buy Now
(price as of Aug 2, 2016)