Fun Facts about Wine
Wine is one of the most frequently consumed alcoholic beverages in the world. Wine itself has a very interesting history and can be dated back as far as 8500-4000 BC when Paleolithic humans drank naturally fermented grapes from wooden bowls. Wine has evolved over time and is now something enjoyed by people worldwide. I've compiled a list of fun wine facts that you might not have known!
- Over 20 million acres of land world wide is dedicated to grapes.
- Grapes are the most planted fruit on the planet
- Over 30 million gallons of wine were lost in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake
- Over 10,000 varieties of wine grapes exist on earth.
- It costs 90 cents per bottle to age wine in a French oak barrel
- If you were to only use new French barrels to age wine, it costs $2.50 a bottle to age the wine
- If you open a bottle of wine then place it in the fridge, it lasts 6-16 times longer than if you left it at room temperature.
- Only 5% of an Oak tree is actually useable when making barrels to age wine.
- California, New York and Florida drink the most wine of all the states in the USA
- 58% of all Americans surveyed by Neilson's drink wine
- The average cost of grapes found in a $20 bottle of wine is $2.64
- In King Tut's Egypt, the upper glass drank wine while the commoners drank beer. (Circa 1300 BC)
- California produces roughly 77% of the entire US Grape Crop
- 55% of all wine sales in US restaurants are for red wine.