Credit: This media is available in the holdings of the National Archives and Records Administration, cataloged under the ARC Identifier (National Archives Identifier) 195457
Getting a Shave at a Barber Shop
There are still plenty of barber shops that offer shaves.
- Check local advertisements from the mail
- Look in your local phone book (they still exist) and call around and ask.
- Look online. The Art of Shaving is a franchise that has barber shops across the country.
Make sure to ask how much experience the shavers have and what is included in the fee.
How much does a shave at a barbershop cost?
Usually, anything from a trim to a full service shave can run from $20 to $50. However, you could splurge on a total pampering package (cigars, haircut, and even a MANicure) if you have a few hundred bucks kicking around.
Add to the ambience with themed barber shops.
- Credit: This media is available in the holdings of the National Archives and Records Administration, cataloged under the ARC Identifier (National Archives Identifier) 195457Vintage Barber Shops -There are a few vintage barber shops that offer a total sensory experience. From the decor to the products they use, they pay homage to the great history of shaving. The image featured here is of Moustache Mike in Minnesota. (Photo By Kelly Loverud & Sara Rubinstein)
- Sports Barber Shops- Some chains offer popular sports channels on TV during the haircut. The barbers are all well versed in the latest chatter for good sports talk as well.
If there isn't a barber shop nearby that offers shaving or beard trimming, then it might make sense to purchase some new razors and special shaving soaps.
Different Types of Razors and Trimmers
- Disposable/Safety Razors - They can range from single blades to multiple blades. Dispose the whole razor or just the blades.
- Straight Razors - These take a little more skill, but they only need to be sharpened every now and then. If you have never done it, a good book can help. (Or read an article on InfoBarrel!)
- Electric - Some men prefer electric razors. Clean the heads frequently and replace periodically.
- Beard Trimmers - A beard trimmer is a hybrid between an electric razor and an electric hair clipper. They usually have adjustable attachments to control the length of the beard.
- Hair clippers - For the real adventurous, maybe you can learn to cut hair and give the old man his own hair
Shaving Creams and Shaving Soap
- Creams can be in air spray cans or tubes.
- Gels are condensed creams that expand when lathered.
- Soaps require a brush to generate the foam and lather.
- Soothers and salves are great for men with sensitive skin, or just to refresh the face after a shave. They can also help razor burn.
- Aftershave takes that freshly shorn skin an makes it smell yummy.
To round out the barber experience for father's day, rent a movie or create a barber themed playlist.
Barber Movies and Music
- Sweeney Todd
- For Classic Barbershop music (try the Buffalo Bills).
- Download The Barber of Seville
- Shaving Cream by Benny Bell
- IFC did a series called Whisker Wars covering the World Beard and Moustache Competitions
Amazon Price: $99.61 Buy Now
(price as of Jul 31, 2013)
Must Watch Barber Movie
Amazon Price: $14.98 $7.89 Buy Now
(price as of Jul 31, 2013)