Lots of college freshmen find it hard to leave their parents’ home and move to a small dorm room for the duration of their studies. In fact according to some studies about 40% of the freshmen are finding the transition to be a rather stressful experience and they are having hard time fitting in to their new environment. If you are a freshman and you are leaving for college in a couple of months keep on reading because we have written down some tips which will allow you to adjust to college life more easily.
1. Make friends quickly - the easiest way to get adjusted to a new place and community is to be open to the people around you in order to find some new friends. Given that you will be living in a dormitory this task would be relatively easy because you’ll be surrounded by your classmates practically all the time. Dormitories are full of freshmen and sophomore students who just like you are eager to make new friends. So don’t be shy and timid and take advantage of the favorable environment: start socializing.
2. Don’t be too friendly - this advice may sound as a contradiction to the tip from above but being too friendly isn’t a wise way to act because you don’t really know the people you’ve just met. Be polite but don’t overdo it, you don’t want to be misled by some poor judgment of yours.
3. Bring the essential not the expensive stuff - it is very important that you start your college years while eluding any stressful events. Dorm rooms aren’t popular for their safety so by bringing your expensive belongings you are tempting some of your less virtuous classmates to take advantage and “borrow” them from you.
4. Maintain a clean room - people will start avoiding you if you live in a messy room and if people avoid you, you won’t be able to make friends. So maintain a clean dorm room in order to make a good impression. If you don’t have the time to clean you can hire a cleaner to do it for you. You can find the best cleaners in London by reading the cleaning section in the yellow pages.
5. Know your limits - don’t try too hard to impress your new friends. Instead be yourself and know your limitations. For instance if you are not much of a drinker don’t indulge in the a shot drinking race that you’ve been invited to.