Five Tips for Avoiding Casino Thieves and Scammers
Having worked in a very large resort and casino for many years, I have seen thieves and scammers come in all shapes and sizes. When most people go to a casino, many naively believe the eyes in the sky and casino floor security are enough to protect us from those who would try and take advantage of us. That is not true. Casino security and surveillance are there to primarily protect the casino against liability. In all honesty, the casino’s management could care less if someone
Here’s five basic preventative measures you can do to prevent from being scammed, in no particular order:
- Before you walk away from a slot machine, verify all credits or money you had in the machine have been cashed out and match your cashout voucher. Never cash out your money and just walk away without verifying the amount and make sure your voucher is put away in a secure location.
- Do not drink alcohol excessively while gaming. When you are clearly intoxicated, you will attract unwanted attention from people who will not think twice about taking advantage of you.
- Never leave money in a slot machine or at a gaming table and walk away. I have seen countless people leave money in a slot machine while they use the restroom, trusting their friends to have their best interest in mind. Remember it’s a casino, your friend may get distracted and walk away, leaving your money available to whoever gets to it first. Or, even more unfortunate for you, your “friend” may even be the one to take your money, which happens more often than not.
- If you are gaming with a rewards card, never give out your personal identification (PIN) number. Also never leave your rewards card unattended, and if you do – make sure to change your PIN number.
- Don’t leave your purse or bag unattended, even hanging it on a chair or leaving it under the chair of the slot machine.. Thieves can even take a purse left next to your leg if you’re distracted by the game. Leave purses and bags either directly in your line of sight, hold on to them, or keep them attached to you in some way.
This article is not meant to scare anyone away from the entertainment provided to us by casinos. It is meant to educate you on how not to become a victim in a casino and have your experience ruined.