Recently I have become interested in how our diet plays a massive role in how our body functions. Sometimes this is a matter of learning by experience, but that is just how life goes and sometimes it is better to look at the before and after effect and see how it has improved your lifestyle for yourself.
At the end of the day everything comes down to what you put down your throat. If you are feeling under the weather and head off to the doctor, the first thing he or she will ask is what you are eating. Your diet plan needs to be changed if your sugar levels are extremely high or if you are going through a chemo treatment.
As soon as you put on weight you will start to feel sluggish and if you are eating foods like french fries and burgers which have been tossed straight in the fat you may start to notice changes in the nature of your skin. This is what causes the pores to be blocked. People who suffer from acne and start to adapt to a healthy lifestyle where they focus on foods that are going to benefit their skin type, really notice the difference.
However, it goes deeper than eating just fruits and vegetables everyday. It is also the way you eat which can have an effect on your skin. For example eating five small meals a day is far better than eating three big meals.
What Foods are Best for Your Skin
- Water - This is just a given. When there is something wrong with your system or you are not feeling 100%, water is the order of the day, but it should go deeper than that. We all know that we should be drinking about 8 glasses of water a day, but how many of us actually get to that goal. Water will keep your skin hydrated, preventing it from becoming dry and you definitely need this if you don't want those nasty crow's feet developing ahead of your time.
- Tomatoes are the fruit of love and they will also provide your skin with a lot of love. They have a lot of antioxidants and can absorb free radicals. They have been known to prevent forms of skin cancer.
- Green tea - this is not a favorite, but it is definitely more affordable than buying something made with the ingredient to smear on your face. Don't add milk or sugar. If you are serious about looking and feeling good then you will want to work your way off the caffeine. This is not easy, but it can be done.
- Berries - things like blueberries, blackberries and strawberries are excellent and I think most people will agree that they are pretty tasty as well. You can use them in so many different ways. They can even be used in a salad or to make a fantastic sauce for your steak. Yes, really!
- Broccoli - maybe less of a treat, but with all the vitamin A it contains you can't go wrong. Don't overboil this otherwise you will lose the goodness. Dark green veggies are the best vegetable for your skin and they often help with the regrowth of cells. Things like Spinach and Brussel Sprouts are also on the A list.
- Carrots - This is another source of Vitamin A and if you are not keen on the dark greens then this will be a healthy substitute. It can also be cooked in so many tasty ways.
If you like dairy products then you are in luck because there is nothing better than a good old yogurt for your skin. Although, when it comes to cheeses go for the low-fat varieties.
- Oily Fish - Don't let anyone stop you from eating smoked salmon and shellfish because this is something that is going to do wonders for your skin. This type of oil that the fish contains will prevent any type of inflammation.
- Oranges - Vitamin C is something you need for your skin. If you are not keen on oranges then stick with grapefruit. This will keep the skin problems and wrinkles down to a minimum.
- Flax seeds - research has shown that flax seed or flax seed oil does great things for your body as well as skin types. People with skin cancer are advised to be cooking with flax seed oil.
orange vegetables is good for skin, like butternut squash
- There are a couple of different nuts, seeds and ingredients that you can either eat as a snack on their own or mix them into a meal you are making which can be quite a nice idea. For example you could use sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, avocados or pomegranates in different ways to make different recipes.
- How about an avo pasta or guacamole. You could use the sunflower seeds in a couple of carrot muffins which can really just add something different and will do wonders for your skin. Pomegranate juice can be drank on its own of course, but it can also be used in recipes if you use your imagination.
Food for Dry Skin
Dry skin is a common problem, but if you don't attend to it you will end up with lines and wrinkles soon then you imagined. Before you start thinking of expensive products have a look at what you are putting into your body once again. Have a bottle of this while you are working, and you will be surprised how quickly you will go though eight glasses.
Before you come to food lets start at water. Most people don't drink enough water and this is where the problem starts. Next we move onto veggies, fruits, nuts and grains.
Try and stick to more raw foods because this is where all the essential vitamins are coming from. Orange and yellow vegetables are the best. Stay away from too much sugar, fats, alcohol and junk food. Caffeine is also a killer. Foods rich in sulpher are also going to help. If you are tempted with foods like these, then drink extra water.