Oh No! The Keys Were There Somewhere ...
There are numerous gadgets out there to help you recover lost or misplaced keys but if you don’t want to spend any money and especially when you keep thinking what happens if you lose the key locating devices themselves(as sometimes happens) then here are some good old ways to nip the forgetfulness problem in the bud.
Where Did I Put It ?
- First and foremost, remember that the most common reason keys are not remembered is that when the hand is tossing them carelessly away at the end of a long day just to relieve that momentary “burden”, the eyes are on something else and the mind is engaged in conversation with someone. If, in addition, the keys made no sound hitting the surface you happened to place them on(e.g. sofa), obviously there is very little of a role your memory can play to help you find them again(you are only left with the sense of touch). So, rule number one, as engaged as you may be in the moment, as you are releasing hold of them just quickly observe visually where you place that bunch of keys. The mental image this creates makes most key recoveries easier as the brain has good short-term memory.
- Place them in the same pre-determined or pre-allocated location each time. Prevention is better than cure.
- Use wall hooks for hanging them at an appropriate space in the house or office. Since these are at eye-level, they are hard to miss. Of course, make it a point to hang your keys there.
- Use a key box. It houses all the keys for the entire house in one convenient compartment and it helps you organize them too. A simple one can even be made yourself.
- Use something bright, colourful and reasonably sized as a key-chain. This should help you notice it from a distance or in the dark rather than act against you as a camouflage.
- If you know that you will be gone for a significant amount of time, maybe days or more after leaving a bunch of keys around, it will be very useful if you took advantage of your handphone and made a close snapshot of that bunch with its immediate surroundings. This may sound silly but you will appreciate the picture in your phone when you come home in a hurry wanting to unlock something but are clueless where you put the keys.
Still Goes Missing ?
Of course, if you have tried all those methods above but you don’t seem to be able to stick to the routine for some reason, or you are just a techno-geek, then go get yourself a key locator, but don’t lose it.
Amazon Price: $87.49 Buy Now
(price as of Jan 15, 2014)
-Color-coded pagers customize your remote key finder
-Loud 85-decibel alarm makes finding misplaced items easy
-Wireless transmitter works up to 60 feet away
-Each key ring/receiver uses one button cell battery