Cigarette smoking is arguably the most important preventable cause of premature death in the United States. Smoking cigarettes accounts for more than 450,000 of more than 2.5 million deaths in the USA every year. Smokers have a higher risk of developing many chronic disorders.
Here are just 46 of the diseases, ailments, and health risks connected to cigarette smoking.
Never start smoking and you will have a much lower risk of getting many of these diseases. Quit today and your chances of getting them will go down significantly.
Quit smoking and you will find you love being healthy!
1. Atherosclerosis (fatty buildups that obstruct the arteries, leading to high blood pressure and maybe strokes)
2. Coronary heart disease (including recurrent coronary heart disease after bypass surgery) THIS IS THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH IN THE US.
5. Lowered HDL = good cholesterol
6. Aortic aneurysm
7. Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body
8. Lung Cancer (about 85% of lung cancer deaths caused by cigarette smoking)
9. Cancer of the bladder
10. Cancers of the oral cavity
11. Pharynx cancer
12. Cancer of the Esophagus
13. Cervical cancer
14. Cancer in the kidneys
15. Pancreatic cancer
16. Stomach cancers
17. Acute Myeloid Leukemia
18. Peripheral vascular disease
19. Chronic obstructive lung disease
20. Increased infertility problems
21. Increased chance of preterm delivery
23. Low Birth Weights
24. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
25. Lower bone density
26. Increased risk of hip fracture
27. Cancer of the rectum (oooo, fun)
28. Increased coughing
29. Sleep difficulties
30. Lowered immune response and thus more colds and flus
31. Gum disease
32. Chronic bronchitis
34. Heart Attacks
35. People who are HIV positive more likely to get full blown AIDS if they smoke
36. Stomach ulcers
38. Pain in the legs and gangrene
39. Raynaud's disease
44. Caries (tooth decay, cavities)
45. More likely to get a limb amputated
46. Less oxygen to the brain (meaning you cannot think as well)
Smoking kills more Americans every year than alcohol, car accidents, AIDS, homicides, drugs, fires, and suicides combined!
Quit smoking now, and you can avoid a lot of illnesses, and save a ton of money (the author saved enough to buy a Land Rover), among many other benefits.
Love life, live long, quit smoking!