If you are thinking about buying a new refrigerator, then you have to consider some important factors first. An important factor that you need to assess is the size of the fridge. Will be it a small, compact refrigerators, side by side, top mounted refrigerator or bottom mounted fridge?
The size of the refrigerator you choose will depend on the space you have for it. The number of people who will be using it and, your budget are two other factors to keep in mind.
For those who are still undecided on what refrigerator to buy, here are some features of the different types of fridge to help you make your decision:
- Compact or Small refrigerator. This sort of refrigerator is the smallest in the market and the cheapest as well. Its size varies from 1.7 cubic feet of space to 5.1 cubic feet of space. Its main use is to store small amounts of foods for people who are living in college dorm rooms, hotel rooms and small apartments. You can’t store your foods in its freezer, and even if you do, it won’t have enough space for your food freezing needs.
- Top Mounted Freezer Fridge. This type of refrigerator is what you would commonly see in households. Its size ranges from 60 to 69 inches tall, 27 to 33 inches deep and 23 to 36 inches wide. This traditional fridge has a mounted freezer located on top and are offered in numerous styles and colors. These are family-sized refrigerators, which is why most families have one. Their shelves are adjustable so they can accommodate different sizes of food containers. Prices and features vary depending on the features they have. You obviously expect to pay more for a chilled water dispenser. One disadvantage of this sort of fridge however is that you have to bend over when getting stored foods from the bottom shelves and drawers.
- Bottom Mounted Freezer refrigerator. This type of fridge is becoming popular for many homeowners these days. Its freezer is mounted at the bottom and is usually designed with drawers. The refrigerated part is typically at eye level similar to the top mounted freezer refrigerator. The bottom mounted freezer refrigerator’s size ranges are similar to the top mounted freezer refrigerator.The drawback for this sort of fridge is that it doesn’t offer much storage space as compared to the traditional type of refrigerator. You have bend over when you have to get some foods on the freezer.
- Side-by-Side Fridge. This sort of fridge has two doors, one for the freezer on one side and one door for the refrigerator. This is most especially advantageous for kitchens that have minimal spaces as they have narrower doors. Some include ice and water dispensers. The size of this fridge varies from 31 to 36 inches wide, 28 to 34 inches deep and 66 to 68 inches tall. The main disadvantage of this type of fridge is that they don’t have as much usable storage space as you would expect and the narrow compartments make storing bulky items a problem.
- Drawer type Fridge. For people who want a separate storage for their soda cans and snacks, you can opt to have a fridge built under their kitchen counter. This sort of refrigerated drawer storage is the latest in the array of kitchen luxuries although it is expensive at about $2,500.
. . .
The fridge is one appliance that you can expect to last for a long time. Do not make any rush decisions in buying and think ahead to how your needs will change over the next few years. If you are planning a family in three years’ time it makes far more sense to buy a large fridge now. You can find used fridges easily enough in your local paper if money is tight, bear in mind though that these are likely to be older and less efficient models.