If you have a family or you are new student, getting health insurance is an absolute must.
"Health is not valued til sickness comes" -- Dr Thomas Fuller
It's estimated that over 47 million residents in the US do NOT have any kind of health or medical insurance. What if something terrible happened to you and your loved one? How will you insure they get the best medical care? What if you are so ill that you cannot work for a while? Will your family have enough income to sustain them until you are better? You need to purchase the best health insurance for your family and children that you can afford.
"Make your own recovery the first priority in your life" -- Robin Norwood
Health insurance is one of those essential costs that should take priority above your cable bill, the internet service, even, you might argue, your phone bill. It's been said many times before, but if you don't have good health, you don't have much at all.
"Look to your health and if you have it, praise God and value it next to conscience; for health is the second blessing that we mortals are capable of, a blessing money can't buy" -- Izaak Walton
Luckily, in the age of the internet, buying decent but cheap health insurance is easier than ever. The internet has made the market for online health insurance highly competitive with better value, payment options and offers that should suit your every budget and need.
How to choose a good online health insurer
Pick a company that:
- can provide an instant free health insurance quotation online
- can provide a customized insurance coverage plan to suit your individual needs
- has a phone hotline for customer service inquiries
Here's what you should consider when thinking about buying health coverage:
- am I or my spouse already in a company health plan and what does that cover
- what monthly premium can I afford to pay
- how long do I need the health coverage for? Is it just to cover me as I'm out-of-work or is it for the rest of my life
- are there any particular health services that I am more likely to use: e.g do I intend to get pregnant, or will I regularly need a doctor home visit?
- do I have any pre-existing health conditions that might effect my plan
- do I regularly have to take prescription medicines and will they be covered?
Types of health insurance for families, children and students
- Fee-for-service: the most traditional kind of health care coverage in which the insurance company pays the fees for hospital, doctors and related services
- HMOs or Health Maintenance Organizations: pre-paid health plans in which the HMO arranges for your medical care using its own doctors and hospitals
- PPOs or Preferred Provider Organizations which is combination of HMOs and Fee-for-services
- Medicaid: health coverage for low-income people who cannot afford other types of health coverage
- Medicare: a Federal Health insurance program for US citizens aged 65 and older and for certain disabled Americans.
- Disability insurance: if you have a long-term illness and cannot return to your previous job or work at all
- Long-term care insurance: if you need long-term nursing home care for a permanent or long-term disability
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance: this will give you a fixed amount per day you spent in hospital or for other medical expenses so that you will not have to pay as much
Start your research now
Purchase health insurance to protect against any unexpected illnesses or accidents and sleep well at night with a peace of mind.