Easy Fish Recipes For Kids : Bring Out The Seafood Lover In Your Child
Fish is a great catch for kids - nutritionally speaking.
Most kids usually give fish a hard time saying it’s yucky and smelly. This is a shame as fish is so good for them and so easy, delicious and versatile to cook.
Unfortunately, the cost of fish is rising and obtaining really fresh fish in some areas can be difficult. Most supermarkets have opened seafood counters now and are offering a large variety of fish.
Parents can’t expect to get kids to eat fish if they’re not eating it themselves, so they need to be role models and set a good example.
Experts these days are urging us to eat fatty fishes like salmon to get our omega 3's and vitamin D. Studies are also showing now that children under one year old who eat fish may reduce the risk of developing eczema. Of course, skip the fish that are high in mercury, but apart from those, the ocean is a big place. You never know, your child may be a seafood lover.
Keeping a few tins in the cupboard is always a good idea. Canned sardines are high in essential oils and salmon is also good, whereas tuna is a good protein source, but has little fish oil. As with all tinned goods, keep a watch on the additives.
Below are two easy fish recipes for kids that they will love:
SEAFOOD MAC & CHEESE (serves 4)
250g large pasta shells
½ head broccoli, cut into small florets
300g firm white fish fillets (see tip) chopped
½ cup frozen peas and corn, thawed
¾ cup tasty cheese, grated
½ cup parmesan, grated
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
â…“ cup plain flour
2½ cups milk
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180â—¦C. Arrange six 1-cup ramekins on an oven tray.
2. Cook Pasta in a large saucepan of building, salted water following packet instructions. Add broccoli for the last minute. Drain well.
3. SAUCE: In a medium saucepan, melt butter on medium. Sauté onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring until sauce boils and thickens. Simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Add fish, vegetables and pasta to sauce. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Stir in half the combined cheeses.
5. Spoon mixture into ramekins. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Accompany with a salad if desired.
- Make sure you remove any fish bones using tweezers.
- Use snapper, trevally or even salmon.
SUPER SALMON BURGERS (serves 4)
400g skinless salmon fillet
150g smoked salmon fillet, skin removed, flaked
2 teaspoons baby capers, rinsed, drained, chopped
1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
1 tablespoon American-style mustard
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
bread rolls, cheese, lettuce and tartare sauce (see tip) to serve
1. Cook potato in boiling, salted water for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and mash well.
2. Place salmon in a frying pan and cover with water. Heat on medium until just boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes until salmon is cooked through. When cool enough to handle, flake salmon into small pieces.
3. In a bowl, combine mashed potato, poached salmon, smoked salmon, capers, dill and mustard. Season to taste and mix well. Shape into 4 large or 8 small patties. Dust lightly in flour.
4. In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Drain on a paper towel.
5. Serve patties in rolls with cheese, lettuce and tartare sauce.
To make a simple tartare sauce, combine ¼ cup egg mayonnaise with 2 finely chopped gherkins and 1 tablespoon each chopped baby capers and dill.
Frozen Fish Sticks: In a hurry, no time to cook? There's nothing wrong with pre-prepared fish from the frozens aisle of the supermarket, as long as you check the labels. Make sure you buy sticks that are made from whole fish fillets with no fillers in them and preferably baked not fried. Another easy option to get kids to eat fish.
Amazon Price: $29.95 $15.91 Buy Now
(price as of Jul 20, 2013)