If you think about it, everyone has only one body, right? One body with the sole purpose of functioning, and we often don't take the time to take care of it. When you're fit and in shape, it not only results in better health, but also leads to more confidence, and not to mention help with the opposite sex. Those are three pretty good reasons to get in or stay in shape, wouldn't you say?
In the past 6 months, this was my goal - to get in shape. I've gone from 220 lbs. to 175 lbs. with the help of self-control, healthy dieting/ exercising, and these 5 important tips to remember on your journey of getting into shape.
- Exercise before Breakfast/ On an empty stomach: Studies show that when you exercise on an empty stomach, it not only burns more fat, but also boosts your metabolism up to about 15 hours. If you're not a morning person and have a hard time getting up in the morning, begin your days with an exercise. The sudden rush of blood through your veins will soon waken you wide awake. Not to mention, with your metabolism boosted, you're all set for all three meals.
- Best way to burn fat is to run: I've found the best way to burn off fat is to run. Not light weight jogs, but full on sprints. During your exercise period, it's not about the duration or the distance, but more so the intensity- working out at higher intensities burns more total calories.
- Build up lean muscle: I learned from a gym trainer that building up lean muscles leads to an increase in your metabolism. Try to do some weight training at least 2x a week to help boost your metabolism.
- Play a sport: When you learn to pick up a sport as a hobby, working out doesn't become a task. Enjoy some sun with friends while burning up to 500 calories in an hour of a pick-up basketball game.
- No carbs at night: Carbs are not bad for you, but if you're trying to lose weight, avoid these snacks at night. Carbs turn into blood sugar very fast, which means it helps the production of fat storing hormones, like insulin. If you're hungry, grab an apple. You don't need to heavily indulge yourself before you sleep!