Cheap auto insurance can make insuring your vehicle affordable. The economic conditions of this country have forced citizens to look for ways to save money. Getting your car coverage for less just seems to make sense, doesn't it? If you think it's expensive now, just wait until your kids start driving cars. Here's how to cheap auto insurance, so you never pay too much.
Your driving record could keep you from getting cheap auto insurance. If you tend to speed in your car, you may want to keep your foot off the gas pedal a little bit. Car accidents and traffic tickets will both come into play here. If you've received a few tickets or been in car accidents in the past, there are some things you can still do to help you get cheap auto insurance as you move forward.
1. Slow down. This is really one of the biggest reason your rates go up. When you get a speeding ticket you can expect an increase in rates. Pay special attention to all posted limits so you don't end up with a ticket. If you are driving on the highway, you may want to use your car's cruise control, so you don't speed accidentally.
2. Drive defensively: When you are in a car accident, even if it's not really your fault, your cheap auto insurance rates will likely go up. You'll have to go back to your driver's education days to remember all the tip and techniques they taught you. To start out, you want to eliminate making assumptions in your car. Don't assume the car on the other side of the road is going to stop. Don't assume the car is going to turn. Cheap auto insurance rates are given to those who have a clean driving record.
3. Maintenance: Be sure to keep up on car maintenance and repair to avoid accidents and tickets. If you have under inflated or bald tires, they are unsafe. In addition, you can get a ticket. Cheap auto insurance is much easier to find when you avoid the things that can cause an accident or ticket while driving..
One of the easiest ways to get cheap auto insurance is by increasing your deductibles. The companies will look at the likelihood of paying you a claim, and adjust your rates accordingly. When you have a higher deductible, you decrease the risk of filing a claim. For example: You have a small car accident in a parking lot. You backed your car into one of those cement pillars and made a dent in the bumper. You go to get an estimate. It will cost $900 to repair. If you have a $500 deductible, the company will have fork out some money to you. If you have a higher deductible, like $1,000, the company will not need to pay out. Cheap auto insurance will cost less when the company knows they are less likely to pay you a claim.
Of course, there is some risk involved when you get cheap auto insurance like this. In the example above, you will have no way to file a claim, because you will not be able to collect any money. If you cannot afford the cost of the repair on your own, you may need to drive your car around with that dent.
Cheap auto insurance can sometimes be found by searching for hidden discounts. You shouldn't expect these to be advertised, but they are there. You cannot assume the company will tell you about them either, you have to take an offensive approach and ask. Cheap car insurance may involve some detective work on your end. Here's where to find the hidden discounts in your policy.
1. Bundling: If you have cheap auto insurance, and then go on to insure your home, boat, and four wheelers through the same company, you can expect a discount. In fact, you can come right out and ask for one. Sometimes keeping all of your business with one company is the best way to get cheap auto insurance.
2. Good grades: If you have children in the family that will be driving the cars, you may be able to get a discount if they get good grades. This is a great incentive for young drivers, and a great way to get cheap auto insurance.
3. Antitheft devices: You may get a price break is your car is equipped with an antitheft device, like an alarm. You may need to ask for this type of discount, but it may be there. If you have one of these, the car is less likely to get stolen, and therefore, the company is less likely to have to pay out a claim. If you are looking for cheap auto insurance, you may want to explore this option.
MAKING A CLAIM:
Before you file a claim, you may want to think about the impact it will have on your rates. If you are looking for cheap auto insurance, you will find it's harder to get if you make claims. If you are thinking about a small claim, perhaps using the same example in the parking lot listed above, you may want to think twice. When you have a car accident, even a very minor one, your rates go up. Think twice before you file for the small stuff, as it can and likely will increase your rates. Cheap auto insurance will be harder to find if you are prone to making any claims.
Strange that this is the last thing on the list, when it's the first thing most people do when they are looking for cheap auto insurance. When you shop around for the best rates, you want to make sure you are doing a fair comparison. Make sure your liability and deductible limits are the same when you get quotes. This way, you can make sure you are truly getting the best deal. Cheap auto insurance can be found by those willing to put a little time and effort into the search.