It's common knowledge that the most effective way to get rid of a hangover is to get lots of rest and sleep, but there are times when need to get up really early in the morning because of work or other engagements, so you really can't afford to lie down and let the body take care of itself - you need something that will take care of a hangover fast.
Thankfully, there are a number of simple remedies that can be found at home. While they won't magically cure the hangover, they do help your body speed up the recovery process. These items include the following:
- Toast - toast can improve blood sugar and will help alleviate an upset stomach, two main problems associated with hangovers.
- Egg - eating eggs for breakfast is also advised because eggs are rich in cysteine, which is an amino acid that helps eliminate toxins in the body.
- Lemon juice - lemons can help absorb the alcohol in the blood stream, but make sure you choose the types of lemon juice that are not too sweet, as too much sugar can worsen your problem. Ideally, you should put a few drops of pure lemon juice into your favorite tea for detoxification.
- Tea - people tend to drink coffee in order to treat a hangover, but tea is usually better as most coffee-drinking people aren't immune to its effects yet.
- Bouillon soup - bouillon soup will help replaces the potassium and salt lost from drinking and the resulting increased expulsion of liquids.
- Lots of water - make sure to drink plenty of water in order to prevent dehydration the next day. When you have hangover, you tend to feel thirsty so drinking lots of water can help lessen the symptom.
- Ginger - ginger is known to be effective in stabilizing the levels of blood glucose, which can help get rid of the nasty effects of hangover. You simply need to cut the ginger into small chewable pieces, but if you prefer to take it in liquid form, you can boil at least ten pieces in 4 cups of water. Once boiled, you can add the concoction to your orange juice. If the taste is too strong, you can add honey.
- Apples and bananas – both of these are rich in nutrients that can help alleviate headache and replace the lost minerals.
- Ice pops - aside from water and juices, you can also indulge in ice pops to rehydrate yourself. This is great for those who don’t want to feel the bloating that is associated with drinking lots of liquids.
- Tomato-based food - this includes fresh tomatoes, pasta, or tomato juice. Tomato is rich in vitamin C, which has anti-oxidant properties.
- Hot bath - too much alcohol not only hinders normal bodily functions but will also hinder the skin from doing its job as natural exhausts for toxins. Taking a dip in a hot tub can make you feel refreshed and release bad body toxins through the skin pores.
- Aspirin or ibuprofen - you can easily find over-the-counter medications that can help alleviate the headaches and body pains that come with a hangover. However, you need to first consult your doctor before taking any kind of medication, since there are cases when people react negatively to medication, especially those who are prone to heavy drinking.
- Light exercise - if you're having trouble getting a good sleep for some reason, you can do some light exercises as an alternative. These include light jogs, brisk walks or even a few laps on the pool. Exercise will help the body produce endorphins, which improve the body's mood and help it metabolize the alcohol faster
- Breathe some fresh air - while you are probably tired and nursing a terrible headache, make an effort to go outside and breathe in some fresh air. This can help you feel a lot better and stimulate the functions of the brain.
These guidelines can help you treat hangover in record time, and without the need for any expensive purchase. However, you should keep in mind that not all the tips listed above can be effective for you so it is best to try each one first until you find one that works for your case. Since they are all natural remedies (except the medications, which should be taken under a doctor’s supervision), you won’t have to worry any harmful side effects.