If you resort to using local computer repair services to remedy computer faults then there is a number of things that you should do to speed up the process. This article details some useful hints that could save you time and money and mean that you get your computer back promptly.
If your computer is still under warranty then it would make sense to get it repaired from the computer shop you bought it from. Alternatively, there is a growing number of local computer repair shops that are worth considering.
Prior to sending them your PC it is worth doing the following:
- Research the fault for yourself. If an error code is displayed then use that to search on Google, Microsoft and application support sites (for the faulty applications). It is possible that a workaround or patch already exists.
- Run a virus scan on the PC to double-check that there is not a virus present that has caused the issue.
- If the issue occurs following a software change (installing/removing/upgrading an application) then try removing the software and test if this makes a difference.
- If the issue relates to your internet connection then contact the broadband provider. Most modern telephone companies can run a diagnostic on your line to establish its health status.
- Most computer manufacturers (e.g. Dell) now provide diagnostic tools installed with their computers that can scan for faults to your system. If available, try running these tools to see if they can identify faults.
- Make back-up copies of all your personal data. This is just in case something goes wrong (PC goes missing, hard drive becomes corrupted).
- Do not leave sensitive data on the PC such as bank details, PIN numbers.
- Clear the browser cache from the options menu. This also contains cached pages.
- Sellotape your name and contact number on a visible part of the computer. You'd be surprised how many PCs get lost or mixed up with a similar one that is in for repairs.
- Enquire about hardware upgrades when bringing the PC in. Memory costs have decreased, especially on aged computers, so are a great way of boosting your PC while it is in for repairs.
- Do not let them reformat the PC. This should be an absolute last resort for any PC repair as it clears away all personal data. Any good computer repair shop should be able to remedy issues without resorting to reformatting.