For a new mother and baby; the trauma of birth can equal the whirlwind of hospital visits, entertaining grandparents, aunties, uncles and the cousin that you last saw in a dirty diaper. Along with the inevitable hospital visits comes a whole range of presents that are very pretty but serve no purpose; the New Baby balloons that take a month to deflate, the grapes and bottles of squash.
Buying something for mummy or baby that is useful, enjoyable or truly appreciated will last a lifetime either in presence or memory. So here is my list of some gifts that we were blessed to receive and might help you too:
New Baby Gifts for Mummy
- Chocolate Gift Hamper: Nothing says indulgence like chocolate and a chocolate gift is a perfect way to tell a new mother to enjoy it. Some pregnant women suffer from gestational diabetes and might have been banned from chocolate for months!
- Scented Candles : There is nothing more soothing than getting home, sticking the bath on having a long soak. Some relaxing scented candles or even bath liquids or scents will help. For those of you in the UK I could thoroughly recommend heading to a store called Lush! who offer some excellent bath and shower items.
- A Gift Card : Not every new parent tells their friends what they have already bought. Sometimes it is just nice to get a voucher for their favourite department store to go and buy something new for their post-baby body.
- A1CS FUSION5 I reviewed recently.
New Baby Gifts for Baby
- A Doll or Teddy Bear : A keepsake for the baby is always going to be welcomed. A doll or teddy bear could be something soft and cuddly that a child takes through their growing years or something more delicate like a porcelain dollthat a child will remember and appreciate in the future.
- A Keepsake Box : Quite often parents will not think of a keepsake box until a baby is born; but they become important as a baby grows and that first locket of hair is cut or first tooth falls out.
- : Small practical gifts like a baby bath thermometer, bottle warmer or flamboyant dummy (or pacifier) are inexpensive and appreciated. For something slightly different, AVENT now do glow in the dark dummies; something that might make parents jump if you "accidentally" forget to tell them.
New Baby Gifts that are Something Different
- A Plant Gift : If you are giving a gift to parents that are horticultural; why not consider a baby tree? Bonsai trees are popular in oriental culture but are readily available in the western world; either pre-grown or for you to grow from a seed.
- A Baby Bouncer : Parents might have already bought a baby bouncer for the house, but what about if a baby's grandparents are going to be babysitting during the working day? A family can possibly never have enough bouncers and I already recommend the Bright Starts Comfort & Harmony Bouncer.
- A Bottle of Champagne : Technically a bottle of champagne can not be purchased for a minor, but buying a personalised bottle of champagne for the parents to celebrate a birth can take pride of place on a mantlepiece for many years. It could stay there forever, or be the first legal drink of a childs coming of age (18 in UK, varies in the US).
- A Tuxedo Baby Grow : For that handsome baby boy.... I know.... Just don't go there.
These are just a few ideas for your new mother and baby, whether you are a smitten new daddy, the gorgeous great granny, or just a friend looking to celebrate a new life coming into the world. Leave your gifts for a new mother and baby below as well!