Preparing the Gluten-free Fruit Cake
Preparing this cake starts the day before when fruit is left to soak overnight. After overnight soaking the fruit is soft and hydrated and the remaining preparation takes barely twenty minutes.
Amazon Price: Buy Now
(price as of Jan 3, 2016)
Ingredients for Gluten-free Fruit Cake with Tropical Fruit
- Two medium-size oranges – grate the rind and squeeze out as much juice as possible. Try to avoid the pith as this can make your cake bitter.
- One lemon – grate the rind, avoiding the pith. The lemon juice is NOT required for this recipe.
- 500 g (1 lb) dried tropical fruit mix – finely chop the fruit
- 300 g (10 oz) raisins
- One tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Three tablespoons brandy
- 250 g (8 oz) softened unsalted butter
- Extra butter for greasing
- Four eggs – beaten
- 250 g (8 oz) soft light brown sugar
- 75 g (3 oz) finely ground almonds
- 100 g (3½ oz) soya flour
- 125 g (4 oz) rice flour
- One teaspoon mixed spice. Hot tip: when buying mixed spice read the ingredients carefully. You'll be surprised at how often manufacturers add wheat flour to help the spice flow from the jar!
Decorate the cake with:
- 300 g (10 oz) dried fruit or nuts – I like a mixture of almonds, Brazil and apricots.
- Two tablespoons apricot jam – sieve the jam and just as you're ready to use it warm it slightly.
How to Make Gluten-free Fruit Cake with Tropical Fruit
The Day Before:
Place the raisins, orange rind and juice, lemon rind, dried fruit and ginger in a large mixing bowl. Add the brandy and stir the mixture well. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
The Next Day:
- Pre-heat the oven to 160º C, (325ºF), Gas Mark 3.
- Grease an 18 cm (7 inch) square, or a 20 cm (8 inch) round deep cake tin. Line it with greaseproof paper. Wrap and tie a double layer of brown paper or newspaper around the outside of the tin. This layer must exceed the height of the tin by around 5 cm (2 inches) and will help stop the top of the cake from getting too dark.
- Beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy and light.
- Sift the rice and soya flours, together with the spice, into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the ground almonds.
- Gradually add the eggs, a spoonful at a time. Add a little flour to the mix if it starts to curdle
- Add the soaked fruit and juice.
- Fold in the remaining flour.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin. Bake for approximately 1½-2 hours, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Remove paper and place on wire rack to cool.
- When cold, decorate the top with dried fruit and/or nuts and glaze with the warmed apricot jam.
Amazon Price: $6.97 $4.74 Buy Now
(price as of Jan 3, 2016)
More Gluten-free Recipes on Infobarrel
Infobarrel is a good source of gluten-free recipes, including:
- Lemon Cheesecake In Three Easy Steps - Delicious and Gluten Free
- Gluten-free Corn Bread Recipe With Variations - Delicious
- Gluten-Free Spices For Cooking Gluten Free - InfoBarrel