I love pizza! But, now that I'm forced to stick to a gluten-free diet for health reasons I can't just buy any old pizza. There are plenty of options in the shops including ready-made pizza bases, but most of these seem to resemble stale cardboard - is there actually such a thing? I've also tried gluten-free Fajita wraps.
Amazon Price: $29.25 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 10, 2016)
Get Ready to Bake your Gluten-free Pizza Scrolls
I like to get all my ingredients together before I begin. So often, I've gotten halfway through preparation only to find I've got to run to the local shops for the missing element. For this recipe you should allow about 30 minutes for preparation plus 45 minutes for proving.
Ingredients for the pizza base:
- 2 x 7 g (¼ oz) sachets fast-action dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) milk, slightly warm
- 175 g (6 oz) rice flour
- A small amount of rice flour for dusting
- 125 g (4 oz) potato flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Extra oil for greasing
- 1 egg, well beaten
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons passata
- 300 g (7 oz) mozzarella and cheddar cheese - roughly grated
- Handful of basil, finely chopped
This is a fairly basic cheese pizza, but of course you can add almost any thing such as finely sliced mushrooms, tomatoes, sweetcorn, onions, peppers, pepperoni, ham, etc. If using any commercially manufactured products remember to check they are gluten free.
How to Make Gluten-free Pizza or Pizza Scrolls
- Place yeast, sugar and milk in a bowl and leave to activate for about ten minutes. The mixture will turn frothy.
- In a large bowl mix together the rice and potato flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- In another bowl mix together the oil and egg and gently stir into the yeast mixture.
- Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients, combining well to make a soft dough.
- Lightly dust a flat surface with rice flour. Knead the dough on this surface for about five minutes. If the mixture is sticky add a small amount of rice flour.
- Place dough ball in a lightly floured bowl. Cover the bowl with a wet tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for about fortyfive minutes, or until the dough is well risen.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC (425ºF), Gas Mark 7.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 30 x 25 cm (12 x 10 inches). I like to place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap. It seems to roll out cleanly and easily.
- Spread with passata and cover with the grated cheeses.
- Either leave pizza flat, or roll up from one long edge, and slice into eight pieces.
- Grease an oblong baking tin. Placed scrolls flat on the tin, up against each other, with the sides touching.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes until golden.
We like our Pizza Scrolls with baby jacket potatoes and sweetcorn – enjoy!
More Gluten-free Recipes on Infobarrel
If you need a gluten-free diet for health reasons, or are just plain curious, Infobarrel has many more recipes for you try:
- Gluten-free Fruit Cake with Tropical Fruit
- Gluten-free Corn Bread Recipe With Variations - Delicious
- Lemon Cheesecake In Three Easy Steps - Delicious and Gluten Free