Creating an employee manual is totally the prerogative of the employer. However, employers should consider the fact that such handbooks are essential in an employee's growth in the company. Aside from knowing what he should do, he would also become aware of his responsibilities and rights as a company employee. If you are an employer who wants your employees to have a sense of direction, you should make your company's employee manual.
Here are some guidelines in writing an effective handbook for employees:
- Always include an introduction of the company â€“ It is impractical for an employee to work for a company that he dos not know. The company's history and purpose for existence are some of the things that should be included in a manual.
- Give emphasis to the employee's rights and responsibilities in the company â€“ This should comprise the bulk of the handbook. Aside from indicating working responsibilities, you should also list down the benefits that an employee can enjoy once he becomes a part of the company.
- Clarify working hours, schedules, overtime rates, and salary amount â€“ Employees should clearly understand how they are paid and on what basis. Remember to place breaks and rest periods every after a couple of hours.
- Penalties and sanctions should be made clear for employees â€“ Penalties for tardiness and improper conduct should also be indicated in the manual. If all the sanctions and penalties are explained clearly, misunderstandings and confusion can be prevented.
- List down company policies that should be followed at all cost â€“ Before you call it an employee manual, the last thing you should put is a list of company rules and regulations. Aside from including them, you should also explain why such rules exist.
These are just the basic factors that you should include in an employee manual. Upon hiring the employee, require him to read the handbook before signing his employment contract. If he has any question regarding company policies, he can ask you right away. If he agrees with all the contents of the manual and contract, then he can sign the employment contract.
Creating an employee manual benefits both the employer and his employee. If you have additional questions, you can contact a Los Angeles labor attorney. With the help of a legal expert, you will come up with an effective handbook for your workers. Having a well-written manual will become helpful for your employees during their stay in your company.