Bee Propolis Health Benefits
You may have come across the term bee propolis and wondered what it was. Or, you may have seen advertisements for bee propolis and read the claims that it has amazing health benefits. Anyone looking for information on bee propolis would do well to read this article, which explores what it is, its uses and side effects. Bee propolis extract is just one of the many bee products with health benefits including honey, bee pollen, beeswax and organic royal jelly.
Propolis is a resinous substance made by bees from resins collected from tree buds. This substance contains flavonoids and antioxidants. While bees use honey for their food, they use propolis as a sort of medicine. They use it to seal the small holes and cracks in the structure of the hive and it helps to strengthen the hive and ward off diseases that could attack in the crowded beehive environment.
Bee propolis extract has shown itself to be beneficial in the following areas:
- Professor S. Scheller from the Medical Academy in Poland has conducted studies showing that propolis can help in stimulating the immune system. Through the formation of antibodies, bee propolis helps to build the body’s resistance to disease. It further helps the body to release certain chemicals that help in protecting us from cell deterioration.
- Other benefits of bee propolis include improved intellectual, physical and sexual performance. Injured tissues heal faster and second degree burns can be treated with it in a topical cream form. It can help reduce the inflammation on burned skin due to a substance called arginine that it contains. It stimulates the enzyme system, collagen formation, cell metabolism and circulation in the body.
- Two studies were done in the late 1980s to show that bee propolis can help in protecting the liver against the harmful effects of excessive alcohol consumption and against tetrachloride.
- Another health benefit is the use of propolis as a mouthwash after oral surgery. It helps to shorten the healing time. One study has proposed its use as a subsidiary treatment for plaque and gum infection.
- People suffering from Chron’s disease and colitis which are inflammatory bowel problems can benefit from the use of bee propolis.
- Bee propolis has another use – livestock breeders can reduce diarrhea in animals and improve weight gain in livestock by using it.
There are many other health benefits to using bee propolis extract and studies are being conducted on it to find further uses for the substance. It is not toxic but should not be applied to the area surrounding the eyes. Products containing bee propolis are commonly found online, in health food stores and increasingly in mainstream retail stores.
Amazon Price: $12.90 $12.00 Buy Now
(price as of Dec 5, 2015)