Omega-3 fatty acid is one of the principal fatty acids we need to maintain our health; but the problem is even though we are aware of the benefits of this fatty acid, eating fish every other day or taking fish oil supplement is one thing that can’t regularly do. This is the reason why over 75% of us are lacking in omega-3.
Women get less than one-tenth of their minimum requirement. And that minimum is just what is required for health maintenance; if you want an additional benefit like weight loss and improved memory increase your intake by 2 or 3 times more.
Food Sources of Omega-3: Most food products that are fortified with omega-3 contain flaxseed form omegas and not the more healthy fish oil omega. The body can only convert about 10 to 15 percent of flax’s ALA into the more desirable EPA and DHA.
The fish with the most omega-3 are those that swim in deep, cold waters, including: tuna, salmon, trout, sardines, swordfish, herring and mackerel. Salmon, tuna and swordfish have grown in popularity in recent years because they are firm-fleshed enough to stand up to outdoor cooking on the grill.
Another healthy oil that is an excellent source of omega-3 is Krill oil that is derived from Ocean Crustacean. Krill oil contains more antioxidant and it outperformed fish oil at relieving irritability and other discomfort so a small dose can already give a fast relief according to studies.
- Improve blood flow
- Help in removing cholesterol from the blood and fatty deposit from artery.
- Helps burn fat which can help in weight loss.
- Reduce blood clotting
- Help repair damaged tissue due to a lack of oxygen in the body.
- Helps combat skin disorders like Psoriasis and Eczema
- Slows the advance of multiple sclerosis.
- Slows the effects from the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Slows the growth of cancerous tumors.
- Helps improve memory and prevents depression.
Tips when buying Fish Oil Supplement: Levels of the health-enhancing omega-3s EPA and DHA vary in supplements. Some brands have such low amounts that you’d have to take more than 12 capsules daily to see results. Choose a high-grade fish oil supplement; the high grade supplement can reduce your capsule intake down to two or four a day.
- If you are worried of the smell of fish when you burp, take the fish oil supplement halfway in your meal.
- If you are bothered by fishy taste or smell of fish oil supplement. Fortified foods are an easy way to consume this healthy oil. Nowadays bread, cooking, butter, milk and cookies are already fortified with omega-3 fatty acids.