Start Your Morning Right
Healthy Breakfast, Healthy Day
* Don’t Skip Breakfast. This is first on my list for a good reason! I used to think that skipping breakfast meant I was taking in fewer calories but doing so can set you up for failure since you may end up snacking throughout the morning and/or binge on lunch because you’re so hungry by then. Further, breakfast kick starts your metabolism which means that your body will work harder to burn calories from the meals you eat every day.
* Avoid eating sugar for breakfast. We tend to think that all breakfast cereals are healthy but many of them are loaded with sugar which can lead to weight gain and blood sugar spikes with downsides that have you wishing you could take a big fat nap after lunch.
* Drink juice if you must but not too much. Fruit juice is good for you but it’s also laden with calories and can spike your energy levels just like cereal. Limit yourself to a small glass and drink water throughout your day to stay hydrated. Further, drinking water helps you to feel full so you don’t feel the urge to snack.
* Start strong. Use breakfast to provide a healthy kickstart to your day. Eat foods for breakfast that your body can use for continuous energy. Avoid eating fast foods and fried foods for breakfast as you’ll only feel sluggish later in the day.
* Add superfoods to your breakfast menu. Do you know what superfoods are? They are foods identified in the last decade or so that are chock full of antioxidants and other nutrients your body needs to fight disease. Many of these foods can work for breakfast such as oats, green tea, yogurt, berries and nuts. Even if you’re in a hurry, grabbing a cup of yogurt and a handful of nuts is a great, healthy start to your day.
* Keep breakfast preparation simple. Although it deserves to be planned, just like dinner, keeping breakfast easy and simple will guarantee that you don’t skip it when you’re in a hurry. You can keep hardboiled eggs on hand for busy mornings or healthy carbs like a high fiber energy bar or whole grain muffin. You can even heat up dinner leftovers for breakfast!
If you’re smart enough to know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, use the ideas above to make sure you start your day right with a healthy breakfast.
If even these tips seem too complicated, put some effort into planning ahead when you grocery shop and even at night when you’re preparing for the next day. Give yourself the gift of a healthy breakfast in the mornings.