Snacking throughout the work day is a great way to keep your energy up between meals, especially after lunch. But the quick snacks offered by most office candy machines rarely offer more than a bunch of sugar, fat, and chemicals. That's enough for a short sugar rush but it won't give you the sustained energy that you need in order to do your best work. Luckily, it's really easy to make your own set of healthy snacks that will keep you feeling great all day long.
Wondering what should you pick up on your next grocery trip? Read on!
One of my faves: Jack Link's Premium Cuts Original Beef Jerky
Nuts and Seeds
Almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and other nuts & seeds are one of the simplest ways to get a healthy dose of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals that will keep you going strong. Eat them raw, roasted, in trail mixes, or on a salad. Just watch out for the added salt or sugar that can creep into some store-bought packages.
One of my faves: Emerald Harmony Deluxe Fruit N Nut Trail Mix
If fresh yogurt isn't practical for you, look for tasty yogurt-covered snacks like pretzels, peanuts, almonds and raisins, but beware of the extra sugar inside.
11 more snack ideas
- Popcorn, Pretzels
- Whole wheat crackers, Graham crackers
- Granola Bars, Cereal Bars, Protein Bars
- Tea, water and other non-sugary drinks
- Peanut Butter or Almond Butter (combined with just about anything on this list)
- Tortilla Chips (& salsa!)
- Tuna salad, Chicken salad
- Hard-boiled egg
- Celery, Baby carrots, Red peppers, Edamame
- Zucchini bread, Banana bread
- Rice cakes (with toppings like almond butter & raspberry jam)
What do you eat during the workday? Are you going to try any new ideas from this list?