Dinner time can be so hectic and if you are trying to eat healthy meals it can be even harder.
Pasta dishes are always quite easy to make and they can actually be very healthy.
The following recipe is ideal for busy families looking for something healthy to eat.
There is another reason why this recipe works so well and it's because it's easy for you to prepare the vegetables in advance and store them in container inside your refrigerator until you need to use them.
When you get home, simply reheat the veggies lightly, cook your pasta and add the other ingredients and you should have a healthy meal in less than 30 minutes.
This recipe calls for pasta and there is nothing at all stopping you from using white pasta, whole wheat pasta, rice pasta, spelt pasta or vegetable pasta (like spinach pasta).
If you buy freshly made pasta, you can also use that and toss in your vegetables for flavor!
This is the kind of recipe that is also ideal for leftovers and if you prepare a little bit more than you need for dinner, you'll end up with a great lunch for the next day.
This is the kind of recipe that is so cost effective and it's a perfect way for you to better control the types of foods you eat and the types of food you feed your family!
This recipe will serve 4 people and you can easily double it or cut it in half!
Things You Will Need
1) List of ingredients:
1 small zucchini (if you find yellow zucchini's it's more colorful)
1 small eggplant
1 cup (250 ml) of chicken broth (you can use vegetable stock as well)
2 tbsp (25 ml) of extra virgin olive oil
4 tomatoes chopped (plum tomatoes are ideal if you can find them)
2 cloves of garlic finely minced
1/4 tsp (1 ml) of pasta or whole wheat (select the shape of your choice â penne and fusilli would well for this recipe)
1/4 cup (50 ml) of parmesan cheese (it's best to use freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese)
2) Preparation steps
1. Cut the zucchini into matchstick-size pieces.
2. Slice eggplant into thin slices
3. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
4. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring, for about 6 minutes or until they start turning golden.
5. Add the zucchini, tomatoes and garlic and cook, stirring for a good 10 minutes or until the eggplant and zucchini are nice and tender. Make sure not to overcook them.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Cook your pasta of choice in a large pot of boiling salted water as per the instructions on the packet. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
8. Add the vegetable mixture and the cheese.
Eating healthy can be this easy thanks to simple and delicious recipes like this one!
Photo by thebittenword.com