We have been very aware for some time now of the fact that there is a substantial percentage of the New Zealand population moving to Australia. This number is increasing as time goes on, not decreasing. This means that specialist moving companies are being kept extremely busy with packing, loading and shipping New Zealanders’ household goods and vehicles to various parts of the ‘lucky country’. If you are one of those who is contemplating a move to Oz or have actually made the big decision to move, you will be looking for a professional moving company to facilitate your move. It makes sense to look at a company specialising in New Zealand to Australia moves and in particular one who will do everything they can to make your move as straightforward and stress free as possible.
One of the ways a really experienced moving company can make your life easier is to provide you with a list of really great helpful hints on moving. Here is an example of a checklist that a specialist moving company can provide you with when moving to Australia. Let’s start with four weeks before you leave.
- Ensure passports, visas and any travel bookings are finalised
- Contact Post Office and request change of address forms for redirection of mail
- Contact your doctor, dentist, schools and request all records be sent out to you (Tip: Ask doctors and dentists for referrals to reputable health professionals in your new location)
- If you haven’t already started, now would be a good time to start discarding unwanted items. You may want to consider placing an advert for a garage sale
- Advise your bank and credit card companies to arrange transfer of funds and/or termination of your account
- Notify the IRD of your move, your electoral registrar etc.
Next on your pre-move planner is two weeks before you move:
- Notify newspaper deliveries and obtain your telephone, gas, electricity, gas and water service final readings
- Organise someone to look after your children and pets on moving day
- Dispose of items that cannot be moved such as inflammable liquids, empty gas bottles
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home
- Make sure all personal accident and medical insurance is arranged, plus all other aspects of your move including storage, insurance and documentation
If you follow your pre-move planner as above, you will be stress free on moving day itself and be ready to move on to your new life in Australia.