Madison Square Garden, often abbreviated as MSG or The Garden, is a multi-purpose indoor sports and entertainment arena on the island of Manhattan. The building is unusually built on top of Pennsylvania Station, an active railway station at 8th Avenue, between 31st and 33rd Streets. MSG stays heavily booked and is an important venue in New York City, and for nationally important events.
Major Events at Madison Square Gardens
MSG has hosted many iconic events, sold out concerts, major sporting events and political conventions. An evolving list of significant events at MSG is maintained on Wikipedia.
Madison Sq. Garden used to be the center of the American Professional Boxing business before the big fights shifted to Las Vegas. It is still used for major fights today, just not as many fights as before the focus shifted to the Las Vegas casinos.
The New York Rangers NHL team is also owned by The Madison Square Garden, Inc. and the NHL team plays home games in the arena. Because the NY Rangers play here, the venue has hosted the Stanley Cup Finals 3 times:
- 1972 when the Boston Bruins won the championship in the building
- 1979 when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup in the building
- 1994 when the Rangers won another championship at Madison Square Garden
MSG also hosted the following National Hockey League All-Star Games:
- 1973 NHL All-Star Game
- 1994 NHL All-Star Game
- 1998 NBA All-Star Game
- WNBA All-Star Games in 1999, 2003, and 2006
MSG hosted the following National Basketball Association championship rounds:
- NBA Finals:
- 1970: The Knicks won their championship in the building.
- 1999: The San Antonio Spurs won their championship in the building
Ownership of Madison Square Gardens
The Gardens are part of publicly traded, NASDAQ listed, The Madison Square Garden, Inc. In addition to the ownership of the arena, and adjoining Theatre at Madison Square Garden the Company has interests in other sports and entertainment operations, divided into three groups, the principal holdings are:
- MSG Sports is the division that manages the company's professional sports teams.
- NBA New York Knicks basketball team
- WNBA New York Liberty basketball team,
- NHL New York Rangers ice hockey team
- AHL Connecticut Whale ice hockey team.
- MSG Media controls the company's cable television channels. These include:
- regional sports networks MSG Network and
- MSG Plus
- music-oriented Fuse TV channel and
- high school sports channel MSG Varsity.
- MSG Entertainment controls live events at Madison Square Garden complex. MSG Entertainment also owns the rights to operate these other iconic locations and events:
- Radio City Music Hall (Manhatten)
- Beacon Theatre (Manhatten)
- Chicago Theatre
- Radio City Christmas Spectacular (starring the Rockettes), both at Radio City Music Hall and in venues around the United States.
The Madison Square Garden, Inc is a NASDAQ traded public company. If you have a special memory of the Gardens, or are a big Knicks or NY Rangers fan, and want a unique collector item you can get a piece of the business named after the location by buying stock in the company. What a cool way to show your love of such an iconic New York building.
Amazon Price: $44.95 $34.99 Buy Now
(price as of Nov 7, 2014)