One of the most important aspects to keep in mind when planning your holiday getaway is where exactly you will stay and which type of accommodation would be best suited for you and your traveling companions. Seeing as though holiday apartment rentals have been gaining in popularity over the past few years, I would briefly like to present some of the pros & cons that come along with them, so that you can gain a better idea about what exactly to expect and thus, be able to decide whether apartment rentals would be an ideal option, or not, for you and your holiday companions.
- Space: Most likely, you will have much more space when staying in a holiday apartment rental. Typically, you will find that such rentals consist of fully furnished kitchens, a living area, one or more bedrooms, one or more bathrooms, and perhaps a terrace or balcony as well.
- Cost: If you plan correctly, you can ensure that you will pay less for a holiday apartment rental than you would for typical types of accommodations, such as hotels. This is the case because you can easily divide up the cost of an apartment rental between the members of your traveling group. In addition, holiday apartment rentals allow you the option to prepare your own meals, which can significantly reduce your food expenses, seeing as though you wonÂ´t have to eat out for every meal.
- Amenities: Also, you will find that typically you can find holiday apartment rentals, which are equipped with many of the same amenities and features that you have in the comfort of your very own home. For example, many rentals come equipped with Wi-Fi internet access, a television with a multitude of channels, a washing machine, a dishwasher, a fully equipped kitchen, air conditioning and heating, a DVD player, as well as potentially more.
- Feeling Like a Local: From my own personal experience and also after reading many individualÂ´s accounts of staying in holiday rentals, I can comfortably state that you will definitely feel less like a tourist and more like a local, especially when running into your neighbors on a daily basis. This can be a great chance to meet new people and share memorable moments while abroad in a foreign country.
- Location: Typically, holiday rentals are available in various sections of any major city. Thus, in most cases you can easily find a place exactly in the area where you most want to reside.
- Foreign Languages: Certainly, a major drawback for many travelers is that they do not speak the local language of the city in which they are residing. This can complicate matters, especially when you have to meet the owner of the rental property to make a payment, collect the keys, or discuss any other matter that may come up.
- Expectations: I always advise that you thoroughly do your homework when it comes to holiday accommodations, as many times people may hold unrealistic expectations or they may not thoroughly understand what a particular property is offering them before they actually make the reservation. This can unfortunately lead to unwelcome surprises and a great let down, if you allow yourself to creat unrealistic expectations that simply cannot be fulfilled.
- Lack of Personal Service: Some people simply enjoy being taken care of and you should understand that if you choose to rent a holiday apartment, you will not have the luxury of someone waiting on you hand and foot. You will not have anyone to clean up after you, nor to offer you fresh towels every morning, nor will you have the option of room service, among other personal services.
- Lack of Other Services: Likewise, by renting an apartment for your holiday getaway you should realize that you will not have access to other services such as a parking facility, if you should arrive by car. Also, there can be problems with the check-in process, as there is no reception desk with someone waiting for you to arrive. In most cases, you will have to notify the owner of the flat when you arrive and coordinate to meet him or her outside of the apartment, which may potentially be problematic.
As you may be able to tell from the some of the examples above, renting a holiday apartment rental can offer you many benefits, such as more freedom compared with traditional forms of holiday accommodations. However, you also lose out in other areas, such as having someone constantly wait on you hand and foot. No matter what type of traveler you are, I would again remind you that you do your homework so that you can feel comfortable that you have made the best possible decision for you and your companions. After all, what is perfect for one person may be disastrous for another.