What causes acidity?
Our stomach normally produces an acid that helps in easy food digestion. The acid produced breaks down the food particles in the digestive process. When the stomach accumulates excess acid it results in a health condition called acidity. Human body has certain mechanisms that prevent occurrence of acidity in the stomach and the intestine. When there is an imbalance between those preventive mechanisms and amount of acid production, acidity can happen. Acidity also happens if there is a breakdown in these preventive mechanisms.
Apparently people also suffer from acid reflux and heartburn. A heavy meal or weight lifting that develops abdominal pressure within can also cause acid reflux. Sometimes excessive secretion of acid can also cause both acidity and ulcer. When the protective lining of the stomach is damaged it is termed as gastric ulcer and if it happens in duodenum it is called duodenal ulcer.
How to prevent acidity?
The most intelligent way of preventing acidity is by avoiding food that is spicy and acidic. People who are involved in stressful jobs should take utmost care in food habits and also initiate some changes in their lifestyle to avoid stress. Though Antacids can help you get immediate relief from acidity by neutralizing the excess acid produced, healthy home remedies will pave ways for permanent relief.
Here are some home remedies to help you get relief from acidity:
- Boil a teaspoon of cumin seeds in drinking water. Sipping this water will help in providing relief from burning sensation.
- Drink a glass of freshly prepared pineapple juice after meals. This acts as a tonic for the digestive system.
- Buttermilk with sprinkled cumin and black pepper powder helps in digestion and prevention of acidity.
- A glass of cold milk is a good option for relief from acidity and heartburn too.
- Chewing on a clove will help.
- The juice of Gooseberry and Bitter Guard is great for the digestive system and an excellent remedy for heartburn.
- Drink lots of water as this aids in the process of digestion and helps in flushing out the toxins accumulated in the body.
- Foods containing vitamin B and E like sprouts, legumes and green leafy vegetables help in flushing out acids in the stomach.
Acidity is really bothersome and it can be dealt conveniently with the above home remedies. Just try these remedies first before consulting a doctor and see if it subsides. For most people, the issue settles down in a day or two. Food is medicine. Hence the condition can be treated with the right kind of foods.