Today, having a two-story building as a house is something. However, one important feature that a homeowner should consider in this kind of house is the safety of staircases. According to studies, most accidents at home are caused by slip and falls. If your stairs are not well-designed, someone may get into an accident.
Fortunately, there is a way to solve such dangers at home. Here are some of these solutions:
- Install handrails on both sides of the staircase â Whether you are going up or down, holding the rails is still important to avoid losing balance.
- Place head lights above the stairs â Lighting is important so that passersby can see where they are stepping on.
- Remove any object that may cause slips and falls â Toys, marbles, rugs, or even small objects like corks may cause people to slip.
- Paint the lowest basement step white â Some people recognize the first step of the staircase as part of the floor. When this happens, they might lose their balance.
- Do not place rugs and mats as much as possible â Floor mats may cause slip and fall accidents. If you really want to place a mat near the stairs, just tape them on the floor.
These are just some of the things you should do to avoid any stairs accidents. But if a family member got involved in an accident because of a dangerous staircase, there is still something you can do. Here are some factors you may want to consider:
- The stairs was designed by a third-party home developer â This information means that you were not responsible for the defective or dangerous design of the staircase.
- Your party did not cause the accident â Make sure that the injured person was not negligent or reckless during the stairs accident.
- The dangerous design caused personal injury to your family member â If the accident resulted to an injury, the liable party should pay for the victim's medical costs.
In these kinds of situations, it would be best if you hire a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer to handle your case. If you provide enough evidence to prove the other party's fault, you would be able to recover compensation for your party's costs.
Stairs accidents usually happen when people do not look on where they are going. If your family has a staircase that you feel is dangerous, follow the steps provided above to reduce the risks of accidents at home. If you want to know more about personal injury cases and accidents, just consult an Los Angeles personal injury attorney in your location.