whitening the skin is easy with homemade skin lightening creams made
using ordinary household ingredients. Although these treatments will
not work as quickly as commercial products in most cases, they have
no adverse side effects and provide gently lightening to balance the
complexion, reduce a suntan or simply lighten the skin as desired.
Commercial skin lighteners, on the other hand, may cause significant
damage to the skin, especially when used over a long period. Try
making your own skin lightening creams for a more gentle approach.
Simple Homemade Skin Lightening Creams
Some of the easiest skin lighteners to make consist of nothing more than a single ingredient. Use these treatments once or twice per day until the desired results are achieved. Also, keep in mind that these substances may be drying to the skin. They are best used by individuals with oily skin. If you have normal or dry skin, follow the treatment with a good moisturizer.
- Buttermilk â Apply plain to the affected area and allow to dry for 5 to 10 minutes. Wash clean with tepid water. Buttermilk has a natural bleaching effect on the skin and with regular use, you should begin to notice lighter skin in a few days to weeks.
Plain yogurt â
As with buttermilk, yogurt is a natural skin lightener. Apply a thin
coat directly to the affected areas, allow to remain for 5 to 10
minutes, and then wash clean with tepid water. You should notice
results soon, usually within days to weeks, depending on how dark the
skin is to begin with. Always use organic, plain yogurt for the best
results, and never use flavored yogurt, as the extra ingredients may
interfere with the skin lightening properties.
- Lemon and egg white â Combine 1 egg white with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to make an effective skin lightening cream. Apply to the affected area, leave for 5 to 10 minutes, and then rinse clean with tepid water. Lemon juice and egg whites both contain natural bleaching agents and will lighten the skin quickly.
- Lemon and milk â Soak one large slice of lemon in 1/2 cup milk for at least 15 minutes, and then squeeze any excess juice from the lemon slice into the mixture. Pat the homemade skin lightening cream onto your face and allow to remain overnight. Rinse clean in the morning.
If you prefer something a little stronger and more complex than the simple solutions listed above, try making this homemade skin lightening cream with lemon, brandy and alum powder. When used daily for several weeks, this mixture will lighten the skin and improve the complexion gently and naturally. Purchase alum powder at natural health stores or drug stores, or order online from a reputable retailer.
- 2 teaspoons sweet cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of alum powder
- Combine cream and milk in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the juice from the lemon, brandy, sugar and alum powder to the milk mixture.
- Place the pan over medium-low heat and simmer for about 3 minutes, being careful not to scald the milk.
- Remove the pan from the heat, skim off any skin from the top of the mixture and allow to cool.
- Transfer to a labeled glass jar and refrigerate.
- To use, apply directly to the affected area, allow to remain for 15 minutes, and then remove any excess with tepid water and a soft cloth.