It is a known fact that coconut is a good source of energy. Coconut is known as nariyal in India. It is tropical fruit which is rich in protein. It has many benefits for the beauty conscious people as well as for the health conscious people. For people like me who belong to the former group, it helps in preventing wrinkles, age spots and is a protective antioxidant. For the people who are more concerned about their beauty well, coconut has good news for you also! Not only it supports tissue healing and repair but it also uses blood glucose in a proper way.
With holidays coming , I will be more busy in kitchen busy cooking for a husband who has a sweet tooth. Many of my friends have become diabetic following unhealthy eating routine so I decided to cook something for him by myself instead of buying it from the market mainly because of health reasons and nutritional values. This recipe is easy to make and can tempt any sweet lover and relieve any homemaker that it's not bad for health. Coconut ladoo(nariyal ke ladoo) is known as "narkel naru" in the eastern region of India from where i come. It is a traditional food made during the pujas and is consumed throughout India.
- milk 1 cup ( you can use condensed milk)
- coconut shredded 3 cups (you will get it from any grocery store)
- Sugar 2 cups (depends on how sweet you want) diabetic patients can use sugar substitutes.
- cashews for decoration(optional)
- cardamom powder optional - half tsp
- Boil milk in a pan.
- When the milk starts boiling, add 2 cups of shredded coconut and mix well.
- Add sugar when the coconut is properly absorbed in the milk. Mix well.
- Stir for 5-10 minutes on medium flame till the mixture starts leaving on the side of the pan.
- Turn off the gas and remove pan.
- Make small balls and roll them in the remaining shredded coconut.
- Enjoy the tasty ladoo.
In case you can find shredded coconut, you can try the same recipe using carrots. You can chop the carrots in a mixer. The famous "besan(chickpeas) ladoo" is also made in the same way. It is also a very healthy dish.
A friend of mine uses home-made butter to make coconut sweets where an other friend uses canola oil to make the sweets. This dish is very famous in eastern India and there are many different ways of preparing it. Some people use butter/ ghee(clarified butter) and roast the coconut shreds till its brown and then add milk while others prefer using sweet condensed milk. They just mix coconut shreds and the milk and boil them till they are mixed in the desired proportion. These two processes are also very easy and result in equally tasty sweets, I somehow avoid using clarified butter because we are meat lovers and love eating spicy food. So once in a while any food without oil is a relief for our stomachs