There is a general assumption that installing any software online is difficult. This couldn't be further from the truth with Wordpress. It honestly takes me less than five minutes to have Wordpress installed and ready to be customized to setup a nice blogging interface.
I have outlined the steps below:
- Download the Wordpress package and unzip it onto your local desktop.
- Create a MySQL user and database on your web server. This user should have the rights to access and modify the database you just created.
- Find the file wp-config-sample.php amongst the files you unzipped from the wordpress package and rename it to wp-config.php
- Open wp-config.php in notepad and update the database details
- Upload the unzipped package from your desktop to your web server. If you want wordpress to show up in the root of your domain (http://www.mydomain.com) then you will want to copy the contents from inside the Wordpress folder on your desktop and upload them to the root of your site. If you want to have it in a sub-directory (http://www.mydomain.com/wordpress), then upload the entire directory itself from your desktop.
- Initiate the wordpress installation script which can be located at wp-admin/install.php ; You will be accessing this file via your web browser. If you installed Wordpress in the root directory of your site, you would go to http://www.mydomain.com/wp-admin/install.php
Congratulations, you have just successfully installed the Wordpress blog platform. The next step is to customize the blog template and plugins to suit your needs.