Experienced drivers always advise young drivers to stay away from trucks and big rigs, especially on the highway. Why? This is because trucks can become very dangerous when they are out of control. Truck accidents can cause serious injuries to people and massive damages to property. The following are some factors that often lead to truck accidents:
- Drivers who overspeed to meet deadlines â€“ Because truck deliveries are always scheduled, drivers try their best to make it on time.
- Overloading of the truck â€“ Overloaded trucks are dangerous especially on the freeway. The truck itself would not be the only problem, but also its cargo.
- Driver fatigue â€“ After several hours of driving, a driver may doze off or fall asleep while driving, putting other motorists in danger.
- Engine or truck component failure â€“ If one of the truck's components malfunctions, the driver may not be able to control it.
If you are a truck company owner and you do not want your trucks to get into accidents, there are some things you should remember. Below are some steps you should take to avoid unnecessary expenses:
- Hire an experienced driver â€“ Because most accidents happen because of irresponsible truck drivers, you should make sure that your driver has the skills and the experience. Drivers who have been driving trucks for more than 10 years would definitely be a great choice.
- Provide incentives to safe drivers â€“ If you provide incentives to responsible drivers, they would be motivated to drive safer.
- Impose penalties to negligent and irresponsible drivers â€“ If a truck driver encounters an accident, you can penalize him for his actions. However, make sure that this is indicated in their employment contract.
- Sanction drivers who take alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs before driving â€“ Even if a driver has not been involved in an accident, you should punish him for taking drugs and drinking before driving.
- Always assign an alternate driver for long deliveries â€“ For long trips you should always let an alternate driver accompany your primary truck driver. Just in case he needs to sleep, there is someone to replace him.
Truck accidents are dangerous and sometimes even deadly. If someone gets injured because of your truck, you would pay compensation for his medical expenses. Aside from that, you will also need to shoulder the repair costs for the houses, walls, fences, posts and establishments that your truck has damaged in the accident. It gets even worse if the plaintiff hires a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer to file charges against you. Any employer would want to avoid legal troubles like that which he could have avoided had he hired a safe and experienced driver.