Green tea is becoming more and more popular these days, thanks to many
reports touting its benefits. According to a study sponsored by the
American Association for Cancer Research, chemicals found in green tea
have been found to inhibit the growth of cancer cells, thus reducing the
risk of cancer. An additional study conducted by Vanderbilt University
Medical Center found that green tea can lower cholesterol, therefore
improving cardiovascular health. Other purported health benefits of
green tea include increased metabolism, decreased stress and anxiety,
treating multiple sclerosis, and even stopping the growth of
neurological disorders like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
While the health benefits of green tea alone may be enough to convince one to become a green tea drinker, it is much easier to make consumption a permanent habit when you brew the tea properly. Here are several easy steps that will help you become a master green tea brewer.
- Always make sure that you start with hot, but not too hot, water. Ideally, you want the water to be just below the boiling point. This will ensure a mild and delicate flavor for your tea.
- Pour your heated water over one tea bag in a tea cup. Make sure that the bag is already in the cup when you add the water because that will maximize the saturation of the tea leaves inside the bag.
- Allow the tea to steep (or rest) for about 2 minutes. This will maximize the flavor, while preventing it from becoming too harsh. After 2 minutes, remove the tea bag.
- Sweeten tea with honey if desired.
- Heat 2 cups of water the same way you would for hot tea.
- Pour the heated water over 4 tea bags in a heat-resistant container that holds at least 4 cups of liquid.
- Allow the tea to steep for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, remove all 4 tea bags.
- Sweeten tea with honey, if desired, while the tea is still hot.
- Add 2 cups of cold water and chill in a refrigerator. Serve over ice.
By following the instructions listed above, you can enjoy a perfect cup of green tea, either hot or cold. If you drink green tea instead of your morning cup of coffee or iced coffee, you will enjoy the many health benefits that come along with this naturally decaffeinated beverage, and be on the road to better health!