We all want to have beautiful curls but most women also want their hair to stay healthy. Some people feel that if your hair isn’t naturally curly and you don’t want to cause any damage due to heat, you are out of options but luckily that is not true. There are plenty of great ways to get curls without heat; you just have to know what to try. Most of these methods involve putting your hair in a certain style while it is still wet (preferably at night) and then waiting several hours for the curls to set. How well each method works depends on hair type as well as how long you leave it in for.
Method One: Braids
One of the easiest ways to get nice gentle waves (or tighter waves) without heat is to curl hair with braids. Here there are several options depending on your personal preference in terms of comfort and how tight you want your curls without heat. Here are the general steps for this method:
- Wash your hair as normal and gently comb it through with a wide toothed comb to get rid of any tangles.
- Then pat the hair dry using a towel.
- Now make your hair into a braid (or several braids).
- Let the hair dry completely (either wear your braids for the day and let the curls come out at night or let it dry overnight).
- Remove the braids.
Although the most common types of braids to use are normal braids or French braids, there are other options.
- You also can opt for one braid or several depending on how tight you want your curls. If your hair is already fairly wavy and you don’t need much help, you can opt for just one braid while if you are looking for tighter curls, several braids is the way to go.
- In general if you want the curls to start higher up on your head, you should opt for a French braid.
Method Two: Headband With Vintage Curls
This method to curl hair is best done at night before bed as it takes a certain personality to pull the look off during the day, but it is well worth it for the results. All you need for this method is a loose stretchy headband and a few bobby pins. Here is what to do:
- Wash your hair as normal and gently comb it through using a wide tooth comb.
- Pat the hair dry to remove any excess moisture.
- Take a large soft elastic headband and put it over your hair so it sits in the middle of your forehead.
- Now you are going to slowly wrap the hair around the headband in sections.
- Take a small piece of hair near your forehead (on one side) and wrap it around the headband once.
- Repeat this process with the piece behind it and then continue until you reach the back of your head.
- Do the same process starting on the other side.
- Take the remaining hair in the back section and wrap it around the headband multiple times until it is all wrapped up.
- Pin any loose areas into place.
- Wear your like this overnight (or until it dries) and take it out in the morning.
Here are some things to keep in mind during this process:
- If you want looser curls, wrap larger sections of your hair around the head band and do so more loosely.
- If your hair is naturally wavy, it is much easier to get curls without heat using this method so you may end up with very tight ringlets unless you are careful to make sure you wrap the hair loosely.
- If the hair is very straight and you want tight ringlets, it is best to curl hair in very small sections and wrap them as tight against the headband as you can.
Method Three: Sock Bun
This is another very popular option for getting beautiful curls without heat and best of all, it will even look great while it sets so you can wear it during the day without a problem and then undo it for beautiful curls when you go out at night. Of course, you can still do this method overnight for beautiful curls all day. The only special material you will need is an old, clean sock.
- Start by finding a clean tube sock that you don’t need any more and cut off the toe part of it.
- Roll the sock up to create a donut shape.
- Unlike other methods, for this one you should start with either dry or slightly damp hair.
- Now you are ready to start preparing your hair. Begin to curl your hair by putting it in a high pony-tail, fastening it off with a hair elastic.
- Now you should lightly spray your head with water if it is completely dry (if it is damp, you can skip this step).
- Now it’s time to use your sock. Grab your pony-tail by the end and slip the end through the hole that is in the middle of the sock donut.
- Wrap the ends over the outer part of your sock donut, being sure to tuck them in securely.
- Roll the donut sock down towards the hair elastic, ensuring that your hair remains tucked underneath. You should wrap the hair around it as it goes.
- Once you get to the end of the pony-tail the bun should stay in place by itself.
- After six to eight hours (or a good night’s sleep), remove your sock bun and your hair tie and enjoy your beautiful curls without heat.
Although these are three of the most common and simplest methods to help you curl hair without using any heat, they are not the only ones. You can always opt for the old-fashioned method of pinning tiny buns in place around your head or wearing curlers overnight. There are also many ways you can twist your hair in place at night before bed and wake up in the morning without beautiful curls.