Termites can do a lot of damage to a home, fence, shed or any other items made of wood. Termites eat wood and dead plants. Termites are important to rid the planet of dead plant material, but you don't want them to do this to your house, shed, fence or other wooden structures. As long as the termite infestation is not really big, there are some things you can do yourself to get rid of the termites. Termites build their homes in tunnels in the ground.
Things You Will Need
Boric acid, Borax
1) Find the termite tunnels. Watch to see where the termites are coming from and going to.
2) Generously sprinkle boric acid all over the termite tunnels. You may not find all of their tunnels, but sprinkle the boric acid over the tunnels you do find. Boric acid can be purchased in grocery stores and pharmacies. Keep children and pets away from the boric acid.
3) Mix approximately 1 gallon of water with a large box of Borax. Borax can be purchased in the laundry aisle of grocery stores.
4) Stir until the Borax is completely dissolved.
5) Use a paint brush to paint the Borax and water mixture on wood fences, houses and sheds that are affected by termites. Be sure to keep pets and children away from the treated area until they are thoroughly dry. Do not plant edible plants in the immediate area where treatment has been administered. Do not use near established edible plants.
For large termite infestations contact an exterminator. Depending on the damage, contact an engineer to determine if the integrity of the structure has been compromised. The key to getting rid of termites is to catch them early.