A brake light bulb replacement on a Hyundai Veracruz is not a difficult task to complete at home by yourself. However, it is not a straightforward process, especially since the owner's manual gives good direction, but leaves out one important detail. There is a good chance that you are reading these instructions because you are wondering what that one important detail is. First, we will run down the actual directions to changing the brake light bulb, and I will add in the trick when we get to it. The Hyundai Veracruz that I have is a 2008 model, but the instructions are similar for any model year. You will need a phillips head screwdriver, and something to use as a wedge to remove some plastic clips.
Here are the directions to making a brake light bulb replacement on a Hyundai Veracruz.
- Open the tailgate.
- Remove the two clips that protect the screws that hold the rear light assembly in place. Then remove the two screws with a phillips head screwdriver.
- Slide the rear combination light assembly straight back from the body of the Veracruz. Note: This is where it gets tricky and can cause you to get stuck. See below for the secret to removing the combination light assembly.
- Remove the socket from the assembly by turning the socket counterclockwise until the tabs on the socket align with the slots on the assembly.
- Remove the bulb from the socket by pressing it in and rotating it counterclockwise until the tabs on the bulb align with the slots in the socket. Pull the bulb out of the socket.
- Insert a new bulb by inserting it into the socket and rotating it until it locks into place.
- Install the socket in the assembly by aligning the tabs on the socket with the slots in the assembly. Push the socket into the assembly and turn the socket clockwise.
- Reinstall the light assembly to the body of the Veracruz.
How To Remove The Rear Light Assembly In A Hyundai Veracruz
Making a brake light bulb replacement doesn't take a long time, even if you are doing it for the first time. However, with a Hyundai Veracruz, you most likely will get stuck trying to remove the rear light assembly. This is the situation I found myself in. I easily removed the screws that hold the assembly in place, but I could not get the rear light assembly to slide straight out like it was supposed to do.
After a call to the dealership, I discovered the secret. At the front of the light assembly, closest to the rear door, where the assembly curves, there is a clip. What you need to do is press on the front of the light assembly with one hand and give a gentle tug straight back with your other hand at the screws, and the entire rear light assembly will slide straight out. Once you remove the rear light assembly you will see how the attachment works and will easily be able to figure out how to reinstall the assembly.
Once you get the hang of pressing in on the front of the rear light assembly and pulling it straight back from the car, you will find it is easy to make a brake light bulb replacement on a Hyundai Veracruz.