Family Favourite Fatoush
Spring is approaching, and as the birds cheep, and the bees buzz, what healthier way to cool down than with a fresh salad, filled with seasonal veggies! Filled with the high nutritional value of a mix of tasty vegetables, this dish is sure to boost up your energy. Fatoush is sure to have the family smiling. Remember Family Fun Fatoush!
Classic Fatoush Recipe
(To cater for more people just double (or triple...) the ingredients and follow the same procedure)
Prep time: 15 minutes
What you will need:
2 ripe tomatoes
1 medium-sized Lebanese cucumber
1 small Spanish onion
1 cos lettuce
1 loaf of Lebanese bread
pure olive oil
1 Table spoon pomegranate juice
1 table spoon lemon juice
1/2 clove of garlic
Salt and prepper to taste
Canola oil for frying
Shallots (optional- great for some extra zing in the flavour intensity!)
You can choose the garnish this dish with some olives and Fetta cheese for a truly Mediterranean meal.
1. Dice the tomatoes into small cables, place in strainer to drain juices.
2. Finely dice cucumbers, onion, lettuce (put 4 leaves of lettuce aside), and radish into small cubes.
3. Chop up the shallots, into fine pieces
3. To make the dressing; Crush garlic clove, mix with pomegranate juice, lemon juice, and 3 Tableaspoons of olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Mix tomatoes, cucumbers, radish, onion, and lettuce in a salad bowl. Mix in dressing. Add oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
5. Tear loaf of Lebanese bread into 4 pieces, fry in canola oil until golden in colour. Drain on paper towel.
6. Line serving plate with lettuce leaves, place Fatoush on top. Crush bread into small pieces on top of salad.
Note: This dish is best served immediately to ensure the salad is fresh and crisp.
Please feel free to leave feedback and post me pictures of your fatoush! How did your attempt at this delicious recipe go?