Forgot your password?

How To Remove Mold and Mildew From Leather

By Edited Aug 27, 2016 0 0

Leather is not impervious to mold-mildew growth. Any surface located in a warm, humid and dark place can be prone to mold-mildew growth. Many times furniture in a storage facility or the victim of a flood can also have mold-mildew growth. Leather-jackets stored after being wet and never thoroughly or properly dried are highly susceptible to mildew and mold growth. Storing leather in dark, humid closets will also lead to mold-mildew issues. Removing mold-mildew from leather is necessary if you want to continue to safely use your leather items. mold-mildew can be dangerous to both your health and the health of your leather items. mold-mildew can cause it to rot and leave the item unusable.

Removing mold-mildew From Leather -- Precautions

Bring the item outside on a warm, sunny day. Avoid mold-mildew removal inside of your home. You can disturb and release mold spores, which can make you very sick or allow them to settle on other surfaces.

Wear a mold-approved respirator, rubber gloves and safety glasses. The mold-approved respi

rator sounds extreme, but you do not want to take the chance of inhaling toxic mold or mildew spores. Take all safety precautions when you are attempting to treat and remove mold.

Cleaning it

Brush off the surface of it with a soft rag. Do not rub the mold or mildew, only brush off the top. Immediately dispose of the rag or set in a 50-50 mixture of chlorine bleach and water.

Mix 1/2 cup of isopropyl alcohol with 1/2 cup of cool water. Stir well to blend.

Dip a rag into the solution and wipe it surface.

Allow it jacket or other leather item to remain in the sun for 2 to 3 hours. Sunlight helps to dry out it and the mold spores, which will stop the grwth and severely inhibit their ability to grow and flourish.

Do's and Don't's

To prevent mold-mildew growth on leather items:

Do not store leather under plastic.

Do not store in humid or damp areas.

Allow plenty of ventilation in closets. Do not pack garments tightly into a closet.

Only store completely dry leather items.

Oftentimes the only signs of mold or mildew on leather furniture are the musty odors coming from the piece. If mold-mildew has penetrated to the wood frame, it can cause wood rot. Wood rot will eventually cause the frame to become weak and break.

Items that were involved in serious flooding may not be salvageable.

This treatment is effective for surface mold growth, not deep, penetrating water damage.

It may not be safe to continue to use the furniture because some types of mold are highly toxic. Toxic black molds can affect your neurological capabilities from which you may never recover.



Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Home & Garden