There is something addictive about staying up all night for no good reason. It's almost too easy especially if you do not have work or school early the next morning. I've been doing this for a while now and I know it's terrible for my health but I can't stop it!
I'm hoping to shed some light on this type of sleeping disorder and hopefully inspire at least 1 other person to join me in overcoming this annoying problem.
I researched the topic extensively and I've found several possible solutions. Here's a list:
1. Go to bed 15-30 minutes earlier tonight than you did last time you went to sleep. Ideally, you will then wake up 15-30 minutes. If this works, rinse and repeat, until you reach your ideal sleeping time. It's worth a shot!
2. This is actually a pretty common problem and a lot of the time people who face this issue tend to spend their nights on the internet or watching TV or a combination of both. Hence, this second suggestion: make sure to turn off your computer and your TV 30-60 minutes before your new sleeping time and read a book instead or listen to some music or an audiobook. You could also try some breathing exercises. The whole point of this approach is to relax your body and mind before sleep. TV and the internet overstimulates our minds and tend to keep us awake...
3. If you're stuck in a cycle where you sleep all day and stay up all night, here is another thing you could try: Once you wake up, force yourself to stay up all the way until your ideal sleeping time... Theoretically, this should allow you to start waking and sleeping at the right times again.
4. You've probably heard this one before but you have to actually implement it: keep your room for sleep and only sleep. Do not bring in TV sets and computers and work, etc... If you reserve your room for sleep only, your subconscious mind will begin to understand that when you go to your room, it's time to sleep.
5. Then there are some new-age types of remedies like lavender scents on your pillows... Apparently, it makes you sleepy.
6. Maybe sleeping just bores you? If so, learn to lucid dream. This is exciting and fun. A lucid dream is a dream where you have complete control and are aware of the fact that you are dreaming. You can even fly intentionally in those dreams. It's amazing.
7. You MIGHT be suffering from some psychological problem that is causing you to stay up all night. You probably do not have a mental illness or anything like that but it's worth looking into - just in case.
8. Another new-age trick you could try is to buy one of those self-hypnosis cds that allow you to relax and fall asleep.
9. It might simply be an internet or TV addiction that keeps you up. If this is the case, you must find other ways to spend your time... Pick up a hobby or something. Anything that will get you off the computer and off the couch! Limit the amount of time you spend on your computer or watching TV to no more than a couple of hours a day.
10. Maybe you just need a girlfriend/boyfriend.
11. Or some friends.
12. Try using sheer will power to sleep at the time you want to sleep.
13. Exercise for at least 30 minutes during the day. This has been said to help induce sleep earlier and also helps you reach deeper levels of sleep.
14. Don't drink so much coffee/sodas during the day! Maybe it's the caffeine!
15. Finally, try to scare yourself out of staying up all night... Read up on all the harmful side effects of sleep deprivation...
Hope this helps!