Bad breath (also known as halitosis) is a sensitive issue. Telling someone that their breath stinks is a very tricky issue to deal with without hurting the person. If someone has ever told you that you have a stinky breath, then you know how humiliating and embarrassing it can be to hear it.
Bad breath is usually the result of poor oral hygiene. So if a person that you know have a breath that smells, it's most likely because they're not brushing their teeth regularly or they're not using a tongue scraper to get rid of any yellow coating on their tongue.
A horrible breath can be very troubling if someone close to you is affected, for example your spouse.
There is a way of handling the issue without hurting the other person and in this article we will reveal how you can go about letting someone know that they have bad breath pain free.
The first thing to try is to try and get them to improve the smell of their breath without actually telling them that their breath smells bad.
If you are in a relationship and your significant other has bad breath, try and be subtle about the whole thing. For example, buy two tongue scrapes and talk about how good they are for improving the oral hygiene.
If this doesn't work, then there is no other way than telling them, here's how you do that.
How you can let someone know that they have bad breath without hurting their feelings or embarrassing them.
- Offer them a breath mint; this could be enough to get the message across.
- One of the most important things is to talk to the concerned person just the two of you. Hearing that you have bad breath can be embarrassing so it's important to make sure that there are no other people around.
- Get to the point. Think of how you would rip off a band aid, quick I hope? Apply the same strategy when you want to let someone know that their breath smells bad.
Better to hear it from a considerate person like yourself instead of someone else.
- Ask them if they can have a smell to see if you have bad breath, chances are they will ask you to do the same with them.
- If you don't know the person well, let someone that they are close to know about it. They can later talk to the person with the bad breath.
- Most important of all, put it in a kind way. Don't laugh at them, don't put it in a mean way, just let them know and then move on to another topic so that it doesn't get too uncomfortable.
Letting someone know that they have a smelly mouth is neither a great experience for the person with the bad breath or the person that gets the honour of doing the telling, but with this little guideline to follow, you can let the other person know in an effective and painless way, or close to painless at the very least.
And if they ask for it, give them some pointers to how they can make their breath smell more fresh and clean.
Effective methods for a better smelling breath are; brushing of the teeth, scraping the tongue with a tongue scraper (also called tongue cleaner), flossing of the teeth using some dental floss, and using breath fresheners.