Accessing Multiple Remote Desktops with Remote Desktop Connection Manager
Installing Remote Desktop Connection Manager
- Open your Internet browser, and connect to Microsoft's download site for Remote Desktop Connection Manager.
- Click the Download button to begin downloading the installation file (RDCMan.msi).
- Save the installation file to your desktop.
- Double-click the downloaded file to begin the installation.
- If prompted with a security warning, click Run.
- Browse the license terms, and click I agree and Next.
- If desired, change the installation directory. Click Next.
- Click Next to start the installation of Remote Desktop Connection Manager to your computer.
- Click Close when the installation completes.
Configure Remote Desktop Connection Manager
- On your computer, click Start | [All] Programs | Remote Desktop Connection Manager.
- Click on File | New to create a new RDCMan settings file. This file will store the configuration of all the computers you wish to access simultaneously.
- In the dialog box, browse to the directory (such as your "My Documents" folder) where you wish to keep your RDCMan settings file. Enter a name for the file (such as "Desktops") and click Save. You will see the name of your file is now listed on the left-hand side of the RDCMan window.
- Right-click the name of your file and select Add Group. You will be shown a window where you can create a group of servers you will manage with RDCMan (such as "database servers," "web servers," "file servers," etc).
- Enter the name for the group ("Group name") and a comment (optional), and click Add to add the group to your Remote Desktop Connection Manager.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each grouping of computers you'll be adding.
- Right-click on the name of a newly created group and click Add Server.
- On the "Server Settings" tab, enter the server name (a.k.a. the "Computer Name"), a display name (if desired), and click Add.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 for each server you wish to add into one of the groups.
- Save your Remote Desktop Connection Manager configuration file by clicking File | Save .
Access Multiple Remote Desktops
Now that Remote Desktop Connection Manager has been installed and configured, you can use it to simultaneously access remote desktops. To access remote desktops:
- Right-click on any server name and click Connect Server in order to initiate a remote desktop connection to that server.
- Right-click any group name and click Connect Group. RDCMan will simultaneously initiate a remote desktop connection with every server in the group.
Additional Tips for Using RDCMan
There are a number of ways you can customize your experience using RDCMan. Some ideas of how you can make RDCMan work for you:
- You can specify logon credentials for an entire group and/or individual server. By doing this, RDCMan can automatically log you into the remote desktop.
- You can specify the display dimensions for any remote desktop connection on the "Remote Desktop Settings" tab for any group or individual connection.
- You can easily log-in, log-off, and disconnect from an entire group of servers by right-clicking the group and selecting the appropriate option.