Steps to Apply For Food Stamps in Washington State
One of the most distressing things any man or woman can face is the inability to meet his or her daily needs. There is no shame in needing help and having to ask for it. Washington State’s Food Program allows families get the food they need in order to sustain nourishment. You only need to meet the qualification or eligibility process and then apply for the help. When your family is in need, the Washing State’s Food Program can give a helping hand; you only need to ask for it. Nothing is more important than your family’s overall health.
Who is Eligible?
In order to be eligible for the Washington State Food Stamps Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Reside in Washington State
- Meet the income and resource requirement, which is based on your family size and family income. For example, according to the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), a family of three making a gross income of $3, 052 monthly may still be eligible for food program benefits.
The application process is straightforward. You must fill out the application once you have met the eligibility requirements. In order to complete the application you will need the following information:
- Name and complete address
- Phone Number(s)
- Email Address (If applicable)
- Check why you are applying for Food Assistance from Washington State
- List the name of everyone in your household (this includes name, gender, date of birth, social security number, citizenship status, and race)
- You also need to include your income statements/earning statements of yourself and anyone in your household who works
- Monthly expenses with proof
- You can request a telephone interview as well if you desire it.
- You also need to declare that everything you have stated in your application is true (so make sure you double-check everything you place on your application for accuracy.
Once you have completed the application, you can either take it into the local DSHS office or mail it. Make sure you keep a copy for your records.
If you need help immediately, take the completed application to the office and speak to the receptionist. If you show proof of identity and show that your household will have less than $150 gross income and less than $100 liquid resources for the month, your income is less than your rent and utilities, or your household includes a destitute migrant or farm worker who works seasonally, then you may be eligible for immediate food assistance.
Otherwise, your application will be reviewed within five days.
Expectations After Acceptance
After you are accepted to the Washington State Food Program, you must participate in the following activities:
- You must become involved in the Food Stamps Employment and Training Program (if it is required in your particular area)
- You must undergo a review of your eligibility
- You must comply with Quality Assurance whenever they contact you
Who is ineligible?
There are some people who are not eligible to apply for Washington State Food Program aid. This short list includes felons who are fugitives, and aliens who have not met certain requirements.
Important Links and Forms