This article is the second part of the first that I published here on Infobarrel entitled "How to Apply and Obtain a Tourist Visa for the Philippines - Part 1".  This article mainly focuses about "Tips and Warnings" if ever you'll decide to apply and obtain a tourist visa through the Bureau of Immigration which will allow you to locate the Philippine Consulate Office nearest the area where you currently live.

Tips & Warnings

  • Parents or guardians should file an application for Waiver of Exclusion Ground (WEG) if they have an unaccompanied child below fifteen years old, neither accompanied nor joining a parent in the Philippines.

  • WEG application will be approved by the Head Supervisor of the Bureau of Immigration at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), subject to these submitted forms: an affidavit of consent and support notarized by a Philippine foreign service post from either or both parents for the minor to travel unaccompanied to the Philippines, a photocopy of the data page of the minor's passport including the traveling companion, and payment of 3,120.00 in Philippine pesos for immigration fees immediately upon arrival at the port of entry.

  • Tourists could bring drugs or medicines during their sojourn to the Philippines. The Bureau of Customs of the Philippines allows tourists to bring their own prescriptive drugs but only in quantities enough for the duration of their stay in the country. They are advised to bring a letter from their physician stating their present condition for the treatment and dosage that they receive.

  • For tourists traveling onward to another country, they're advised to have a separate quantity of drugs sealed and declared again before they'll exit the Philippines.

  • Take note that former Filipino citizens do not need a visa. Check in the Immigration website about the "balikbayan" stamp.

  • If you want to extend your stay as a tourist, you may get an application form from the Visa Extension Section located at the ground floor Annex building of the Bureau of Immigration.

  • Fill up the official form, provide a photocopy of your passport, visa, latest arrival card, valid extension of stay, if any and other pertinent documents which will support the extension of your application. It will only take one day using the express processing lane and one week using the regular processing lane for the extension of your tourist visa. The Chief of Visa Extension Section may grant you two months for every extension but it will not exceed the maximum period of one year.

  • Foreign nationals who will stay for more than six months are required to pay the Certificate of Residence Temporary Visitor in the amount of 1,400.00 in Philippine pesos but you can also convert this to your local currency so that you can determine the amount of money that you need to budget in case you want to apply for one.

  • You may or may not necessarily need to appear personally for the extension of your visa provided that, you'll ask assistance from any of the accredited travel agencies or law firms of the Philippines Bureau. Your presence might be called for by the Chief of Visa Extension Office or any of the Commissioners in case of clarification from your application.

  • You should file the extension of your application seven days before the expiration of your approved stay to avoid overstaying in the Philippines.