There are a number of specific guidelines before you can apply for a K1 Fiance/Fiancee Visa Petition. If you are an American citizen and you want your foreign fiance/fiancee to travel to the US to marry you and live with you in the US then you must file first a Petition for Alien Fiance/Fiancee in the United States. The K1 fiance/fiancee visa usually has a shorter waiting period so many petitioners had chosen this type of K1 visa petition.



things you'll need:

  • Money to pay for the fees involved for the application
  • Pertinent documents
  • Time
  • Patience
  • Hard work and dedication
    • 1

      Provide original statements that you as the American petitioner shall marry your fiance/fiancee within 90 days upon his or her admission to the US. If either you or your fiance/fiancee were married before, you need to submit copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated. 

      It is important that you and your fiance/fiancee are not married or your previous marriages should have ended through divorce, etc. Be sure to submit to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) copies of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees if either you or your fiance have been previously married.

    • 2

      Make sure that both of you are legally eligible to marry under the laws of both countries where you reside. You also need to provide proof of permission to marry if you or your fiance/fiancee are subject to any age restrictions.

    • 3

      Submit pertinent documents to prove that you can legally marry being the petitioner. You must have met your fiance/fiancee in person within the last two years before filing the K1 fiance/fiancee visa petition unless the requirement to meet your fiance/fiancee in person would violate some strict and well-established customs of your or your fiance/fiancee's foreign culture, beliefs and social practices or the requirement to personally meet the fiance/fiancee would result in extreme hardship to the American petitioner for some valid reasons. 

      You need to submit a detailed explanation and evidence of the extreme hardship or the cultural or social practices that have prohibited the important meeting. It could be a handwritten or typewritten letter signed by the petitioner addressed to USCIS.

    • 4

      Show documents proving that you are a citizen in the United States. If he/she was born in the United States, then he/she shall submit to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) a copy, both front and back, of his/her birth certificate. If he/she was naturalized, he/she shall give the USCIS a copy, both front and back, of his/her original Certificate of Naturalization. 

      If he/she was born outside the United States and was a U.S. citizen through his/her parents, then he/she shall provide the USCIS of his/her original Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240 (Report of Birth Abroad of a United States Citizen). In place of any of the above evidence, the American petitioner may choose to submit to the USCIS a copy of his/her valid, unexpired U.S. passport that was issued with a validity period of at least five years. Be sure to submit copies of all pages that are found in the passport.

    • 5

      Prepare other documents that you need to submit. One is the completed and signed Form G-325A (Biographic Information) for you and the other is a completed and signed Form G-325A for your fiance/fiancee.

    • 6

      Submit to the USCIS a passport-style color photograph of yourself and a passport-style color photograph of your fiance/fiancee, with both photos taken within 30 days of the date of filing the K1 visa petition. These photos must have a white background, be glossy, not retouched and not mounted. 

      There might be new changes with regards to photo requirements so make sure to check the recent changes when it comes to photo submission through the official website of the USCIS to avoid further delay on your K1 visa petition.

    • 7

      The American citizen shall file this petition and submit all the required documents at the Department of Homeland Security' s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services aka (USCIS) in the nearest office that serves the area where he/she lives.

Tips & Warnings

  • Be sure to have copies of the exact documents that you had submitted to the USCIS to serve as your own guide or reference.

  • Not following the instructions found in the USCIS Forms will further delay the approval of your petition.